Vias versus holes - a few short questions

I have a drawer full of these Protoboards - I never use them but, I did make Kicad footprints for them as shown below. Like the boards in the drawer, they have THT with Pads on Top and Bottom… Also, I used the approach to make Footprint of the typical BreadBoard (by laying down a Trace to connect the Pads in the Correct way…)

The word “Can’t” is not in my vocabulary.

1 Like

Hi there -

I’m still trying to figure this out and not having a ton of luck. Attached below seems to be the most straightforward way to generate an array of PTH, in the fashion of a breadboard. The problem is it seems to be illegal to interconnect them all with the routing tool.

@BlackCoffee, do you think you could talk me through how you did it?

I suspect you have the Interactive Router setting set to ‘Shove’ or ‘Walk around’. But, perhaps something else is happening… Best to set it for ‘Highlight collisions’

Your PCB is crowded - as a beginner at this, I suggest trying a small array of Pads and trying various things you anticipate doing. Then, move up to the real project.

I’ somewhat tied up over the next 6 day’s so responding may be delayed…

Route>Interactive Router Settings

Hmm - I do have Highlight Collisions and “Allow DRC Violations” selected.

At this point, I’m only trying to include a 5-or-6 pads (with 2.54mm spacing) that are routed to each pin on an IC - I’m not sure how to get less crowded.

I think you should post your schematic also since we don’t have the full picture of what you are trying to do. In fact you should make an archive of the project and attach it.

As I said in the other thread you started, placement on a layout could be easier if you made a “row of pads” footprint, then you only have whole rows to deal with. Here’s one I made for 4 LEDs intended to be part of a segment display.

Notice the numbering of the pads will make KiCad require tracks for the inner connections. In your case since you want the whole row of pads to be connected, give them all the same number 1.

At the moment, I am trying to simply connect pads to an DIP-14 package without a schematic - which is why I was posting in a separate thread about the schematic version.

I have three or four versions of this same thing going because I am getting so much different, partial advice. This is a very counterintuitive process for a beginner and it seems like a pretty simple project, by most accounts. I’m not sure what I’m not understanding here.

I will try making “rows of pads” next - I can certainly imagine that working better - it will certainly make it more manageable from a schematic side! It’s just not exactly what I was hoping to figure out with this process.

kdiol.zip (1.5 MB)

Here is the most developed version of the project, with the schematic. The PCB is a mess. I’m willing to take the time to “prune” it, but the issue right now is that drawing the routing between 2.54mm pitch items throws an error, I think.

You’re getting lots of opinions because this is a blind people and elephant situation.

Also an XY problem. You should describe your desired end result, not your current attempt at a solution.

This is basically it. I’d like to do this - or, in later variations, include an IC footprint and some breadboard-type busing solutions. And I heard that having plating on both sides is a lot easier, so there’s that small change, too.

I’m sorry if I didn’t communicate that clearly.

Ok, just a quick text reply for now.

If you want an IC position and 14 rows with holes connected to the pins, the schematic is utterly simple. It’s just an IC symbol with 14 pins that’s connected to 14 rows.

Now for the footprint. The IC footprint is just the standard 14 DIP footprint.

For the row if you make a super long footprint like I explained above, each will have only 1 pad number.

Then in the layout, you only have to move 15 parts into the right position, join up all the pads in the rows, they are all in a straight line so trivial, and join up each row to the respective IC pin.

If you are just making a breadboard with rows of connected pads, then omit the IC in the instructions above.

If the rows are not meant to be connected, then give each pad a different number, then there are no tracks to be made.

You probably aren’t far away from being able to achieve what you want.

Create your schematic and connect everything that needs to be connected. So if you have a row of pads that need to be connected on the PCB also connect them on the Schematic, that gets them on the same NET

Then on the PCB when you try and connect them with a track you will be able to.

They will all be on the same NET

You cannot connect H185 and H272 because they are not on the same NET, they are not on any NET in the schematic

@retiredfeline
Thank you for this advice - I think it will get me where I need to go - but I just want to make sure I’m understanding you correctly.
Step 1: Make a schematic symbol for an “IC with free pads”.
Step 2: Assign the Schematic Symbol to a14 DIP IC footprint in PCB Editor.
Step 3: Make a new footprint with a number of pads in a single footprint, all spaced accordingly - then route the IC to whatever pads desired.
Step 4: This is what I’m most unclear on:
If I’m trying to make a breadboard-type bus - I should make a row of pads, but specify that the number is the same for all of the pads. This will automatically create a routing between them? Or do I need to make sure the pad width overlaps with the adjacent pads?

@RaptorUK
Thank you also, for your advice. I’m curious if you tried the project file that I sent… I believe I have all of the pads on labeled nets. Still, I seem unable to route them. I think they may be too large - or that project may be too large. Did you adjust anything to get it to work?

This is just a box with 14 pins numbered 1-14

You need a symbol for it, but you can use something like a 1 pin connector, since there is only 1 distinct pin number. 1.

All the pads in the footprint are numbered 1. This will indicate to the layout editor that all the pads are in the same net, and you will see a ratsnest line join then. You then have to draw a track to join the pads. You can space the pads how you want, no overlap required.

Hi @abaci

First, set your grid on the PCB to 1/10 inch or 2.54 mm (whichever flavor you prefer). This will mean all the pads you generate will be the correct distance from each other.

Next: as @retiredfeline recommends,

Next: place that 1 pin connector symbol on your PCB.

Next: highlight then Right Mouse Button click “duplicate” from the selection and place the new symbol beside the first symbol.

Next: Highlight BOTH the pads and RMB click “duplicate” and place these two symbols beside the first two.

Next: Repeat the above with the 4 pads. And again with the 8 pads.

Now you have 16 pads in a row across the board.
If you want more, keep repeating. If less, delete some.

Next: Highlight the whole row of pads, RMB “duplicate” and place the row below or above your original line of pads.

Repeat as required and you will eventually have a board that resembles your above image.

I used Connector_Pin Pin_D1.0mm Loose fit.
You may wish to select some other.

Before you start “Duplicating”,
It will pay to Right click the first pin you place and edit it so the Ref and Description are NOT “Visible”.
I only edited the description to “not Visible”.

Here’s a super footprint of a row of 8 pads that was trivial to make. Only thing I changed was I numbered every pad 1. This will tell KiCad that they are in the same net so that you will have to draw a trace to replace the ratsnest line that will be generated.

8-pad-footprint

Or you may create a footprint exactly the same way (using the “Duplicate”) as I outlined with the above PCB. Using the duplicate method means you don’t have to change the pad numbers. :slightly_smiling_face:

Or with the hotkey Ctrl-D instead of the context menu to reduce clicking.

Yes, but only on the second and third duplicate. The first involves scrolling because the user is new and probably doesn’t know of the hotkeys. Should notice the hotkey functions listed in the opened window on first duplication, so then can start reducing wear and tear on mouse wheel . :grin:

Mine squeaks :wink: these days. It’s even PS/2 (with a USB adaptor). Got a lot of office surplus and won’t need to buy a new mouse for a while.