V8.0.0 Release Candidates

I see this is available. Time to test some non-critical projects and squish some bugs before V8 is released.
Maybe donate to the project as well.

1 Like

It’s tagged but not fully out lol

Interesting. Where to read about the news – or is it a cool release video available?

just see the kicad git repository: KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab.

There will be news to read once it is officially out, which it isn’t right now like Mark said.

V8.0.0 RC1 is now available from the nightly download at CERN.

Technically that’s just the artifact of how we do nightly releases, the real rc1 build is still not released. The real ones would be in stable

This is a release candidate and absolutely not a release of V8.
It is basically a beta version and may well contain an “ate my project” bug. Therefore, it needs to be treated with caution (backups!), but testing by users willing to help by reporting bugs found, is essential

The nightly builds had Windows Arm builds available, but these are not available on the release candidate. Has Arm “support” been “discontinued”. (I understand it was never officially supported,but you know what I mean)

The release candidate has not been released, the nightly folder is not the place for them.

Well, whatever the nightly builds were for the last two days,and whatever that thing called 8.0 RC1 is, there is only a x64 windows version and no arm version. I’m wondering whether arm builds have gone away.

Nah just the build process was failing for a silly reason and the jenkins pipeline wasnt flagging the fault properly due to sillyness i instilled somewhere

Cool. I was worried that there was some serious problem discovered in the arm version and it was discontinued because it was either very difficult to fix or arm was not considered a priority. My experience has been that the arm version works really well on my surface pro x sith and SQ2 CPU and Windows 11. The x64 version actually works surprisingly well for bring emulatrd but nevertheless takes a huge performance hit and as although usable is laggy.

It seems the thread title should be edited to:

V8.0.0RCL is out soon™

Whatever you call it, the latest files in Nightly install in a new V8.0 directory, not V7.99 and with the blue icon. It is important that a new user coming across this understands that this version is not released as V8.0.0 and is still beta quality.
edit
And I see an ARM build there too

Projects installed.
Kicad libraries installed.
Personal libraries installed.
Settings seem all OK
Hotkeys I had altered did not install. I’d have thought they were part of settings.

Reading this thread doesn’t give a clear picture of the situation which changes quickly. At the moment the RC1 Windows installer file is available in Downloads | KiCad EDA.

I downloaded the Ubuntu 7.99 earlier today, expecting 7.99.
Instead 8.0.0 RC1 arrived, replacing 7.99.
This required installing Kicad and personal libraries and also my settings if I wished. This was not my usual “download 7.99 and continue in the playground”.

What is a little strange is last year 7.0.0 RC1 replaced 6.0.11 and 7.99 replaced 6.99.
This year, 7.0.10 still exists but 7.99 has been replaced by 8.0.0 RC1.
Needless to say, yet another set of copies of personal libraries and projects have been installed in 8.0.0 RC1.
I am expecting 8.99 to exterminate this 8.0.0 RC1 in the near future; probably when 7.0.10 is replaced by 8.0.0.

Application: KiCad x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 8.0.0~rc1-4e3d2a148d~176~ubuntu22.04.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.1
FreeType 2.11.1
HarfBuzz 2.7.4
FontConfig 2.13.1
libcurl/7.81.0 OpenSSL/3.0.2 zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.4.8 libidn2/2.3.2 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.2) libssh/0.9.6/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3 OpenLDAP/2.5.16

Platform: Linux Mint 21.2, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, X11, cinnamon, x11

Build Info:
Date: Jan 13 2024 14:38:18
wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.74.0
OCC: 7.5.2
Curl: 7.81.0
ngspice: 40
Compiler: GCC 11.4.0 with C++ ABI 1016

Build settings:

On fedora (from copr) 8.0.0-1 is still a kicad-nightly install, and thus upgrades the 7.99-series, not the stable version.

Yea so “nightly” has never meant “7.99” or “6.99” and so on.
It means the latest in what is sitting in the master branch currently.
And that is 8.0 until we finally release the non rc, at which point 8.0 will get moved to a branch.