V5 Symbol editor reports missing references

Hi,
I’m just learning Kicad and decided to learn V5 from the start. I’ve installed V5RC2 (4-19-2018 built) on top of an install of 4.0.7. All seems to be good (actually great).

My system = WIndows10/64

However when i open the Symbol Library Editor I get reports of missing references (files?)
A lot of Microchip parts, file called graphic.lib and some interface.dcm files.

I suspect there is a unsynced list somewhere because I’ve installed over the 4.0.7.

My Project manager preferences match the environment variables and match the location for the files (for the most part).

I would really like to clean all out and reinstall (I don’t have any special libraries etc) and start off “clean” with V5 but I noticed the V4.0.7 install file is so much bigger than the V5RC2 that I am concerned I may not get all the required files with a clean V5 installation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

The main difference between the installer package sizes is v4.0.7 includes libraries, but v5 doesn’t.

There have been many upgrades to the libraries (both schematic symbols and footprint modules) that aren’t yet (possibly won’t?) be available for 4.0.7 because of some new features that V5 allows. See the following FAQ item.

Note, the V5 libraries are still in a little bit of flux and may have future reorganization. Hopefully there will be a stable release for the libraries once (or very soon after) V5 stable hits.

Hope this helps.

v5 has not yet been released. You are talking about nightly builds! If i am informed correctly then v5 will include libs.

The reason not to include them in nightly is to save on server resources. And also on download volume. Nightly users are expected to update often. (Worst case they download a new version every day.)

It is also expected that nightly users know the software a bit more then the average user. (Main reason: There are not enough resources to provide the same infrastructure as for stable releases.)

You are right. I should have been more clear. The OP was talking about installing a V5 nightly, so I guess I made some assumptions about him. I should have also pointed him to this FAQ entry as well. :wink:

Yes, I know what assuming does. :smiley:

Hi,

I thank you both for your reply.

Yes I understand the “nightly releases” are a work in progress and likely the file size difference was the libraries. As I am just now (actually last week) starting with the V5 nightly’s and others have been working with them all along that I might have missed some installation quirks.

For me with no important programs nor customer commitments I believe the nightly builds are the way to go. I am Windows capable and know how to work with not ready for prime time software. I had only used V4 for a few days when I found the OPENGL canvas, got frustrated quickly (one issue was I could hardly see the ratsnest due to too fine a line) and moved to V5.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.