Using KiCad for College Lab Courses?

Same here; in fact I found that the later V4.x nightlies were more stable than 4.7 ever was. Of course, there were a few builds that did not not play nice, but many of forum members found certain builds to be a great upgrade.

I’ve got a V5.0.1+ version that has been working just fine, and I suspect that V5.0.2 is going to be even better. Only waiting for my data to reset for the month and I will download it.

1 Like

As V5.x.y has about two years before v6 comes along and replaces it, I would plan to use it in any deployment.
I expect that the supporting documentation will catch up in the next few months.
The biggest advantage for students is that they can join this forum and their first reply wont be “upgrade to 5…”

3 Likes

I’ve started and restarted a little project several times. I think it has merit but I wonder if I’m the one capable of pulling it off. Well, probably not by myself anyhow. I wanted to have more of a base laid down before I even blurted this out but maybe this is the right time.

A simple ‘learn electronics’ type site based on:

ngspice
sagemath
kicad
other?

This would all go on a live distro to make sure it all works because new users are generally overwhelmed enough learning the electronics. I looked at tying it to something like MIT’s online electronics course but that requires specific text books published in specific years. I know some of these get updated quite often. Probably just keeping the starting examples generic and uncomplicated at first would be enough. If there is interest then it could grow.

Hopefully this would eventually lead to more users and therefore more people supporting the code.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.