Upgrading to Kicad 5.0.2

Hi P,
You say “Plenty to choose from” which I find confusing. Why are there so many, when all I want is a 2 to 1 switch, I don’t particularly care what it’s called, as long a it has a trigger PIN. I’d be happy with a similar range as the generic connectors.

To clarify, if I choose one with a similar look to the one I posted, can I assume that when it comes to assigning a footprint there will be +v and GND? (I suppose that’s obvious really)
C.

Because many different manufacturers make may different components that fulfill a similar usecase than what we know about yours.

Not all of these components are interchangeable. Meaning you really need to decide which component to use first, select a symbol (possibly with the correct footprint pre assigned) fitting that one component and go from there.

Hi R,
I used a MAX4644 6PIN so23-6 chip on my previous PCBs

I just looked on my other computer, with the ‘old’ version of Kicad, and checked for any information from previous PCBs. All I could see on the assign footprints page is DATA SW = To-SOT_Packages_SMD : SOT-23_6 Handsoldering. I didn’t find the actual shape I posted previously.

Even though I keep I keep lots of notes, and pointers, I am always finding myself wasting mine and others time, with these kind of problems. As you can see I can make PCBs ok, but don’t always remember the correct rules. Maybe there could be a simpler version of Kicad for us who have difficulties with so many choices. I’m wondering if the reason for me to use screens before the PCB one, is for autorouting, which is a big help.

C.

Well, now that we know which of the 100s of analog switches you are interested in using, I’m able to search the libraries.

No, the MAX4644 isn’t there. But I found a similar symbol in the Analog_Switch library that you could copy to a personal library, rename, and renumber the pins. (You probably should also check and update the other properties of the copied symbol, specifically Description and Documentation File Name (datasheet), and remove the aliases.) Check out the TS5A3159DBV. It even has a SOT-23-6 footprint. The pin numbers are all wrong for the MAX chip, but that is an easy change. The only think about this symbol that might be a little more complex to edit is this symbol has two units. One unit (A) has all the functional pins (the pole, the two throws, and the control) and the other unit (B) has the power pins. Don’t forget to change the pin numbers in both unit A and unit B. Also, when placing in your schematic make sure you place one each of the units for each SOT-23-6 you plan on using. Lets say the first one you call U7. You should have both U7A and U7B on your schematic.

If you really don’t want to deal with using both units, then on your copy add the power pins to Unit A and change the number of units to 1.

FWIW, I only have the 5.0.2 release library installed on this computer. This specific symbol might or might not be in the latest git offering. But learning how to take an existing symbol and modify it to your purposes is an important library maintenance task to learn.

1 Like

Hi S,
NOTE: I’ve done all of this before, also I have re-mapped libraries, all of which I have forgotten. The sign of a good system, is if it’s user friendly (with the expected level of competence).

First I tried Github, not user friendly.

Then I tried the Kicad editing method, using ‘1’ unit. This turned out to be user friendly, as I edited the component, which arrived as it should in the PCB. (Although perhaps not perfect :slight_smile: )

Thanks, C.

Not sure what you mean by that. Github is a webservice for hosting git repositories. Additionally it provides a user interface for managing projects and also provides a way for non members to share their stuff with the original owners of a project.
Especially the later usecase is where github (and similar tools) brought in a lot of innovation enabling much less experienced people to contribute to open source projects. (A pull request is much easier to understand than sending patches via mail.)

Or do you feel the library team has set the bar for the contributions themselves too high?

In the past only compliance to the KLC was checked. Now every contribution must be checked against the datasheet or industry standards.

There are even people out there who feel we are too lenient on the symbol side. Especially with regards to certain international standards about how symbols should be created and especially reference designators.
I feel we have a good standard for the library right now. We try to balance the requirements of casual users versus the ones of power users.
Naturally we lean a bit towards the later. I do not feel that their requirements bring real downsides to casual users. (But yes to fulfill their requirements every symbol and footprint is a bit more work to create and check.)

1 Like

Hi R,
I meant no disrespect to Github, and have used it before as mentioned. My projects involve many different programs etc for programming, PCB making, mechanical tools etc, and I shy away from those programs that simply take too much effort to use. When it comes to ‘say’ Github, I have to learn a different language to be able to use it. I don’t know what a ‘pull request’ or ‘git’ is and have to look the meaning up before anything else.
I didn’t say that Kicad was not user friendly. In fact I said it is good, and this is why I stay with it. I have been using it for a long time now, and seen lots of changes.
I use Windows, and like many others who have used Windows over the years, am amazed at the sometimes difficulties with it. It is written by clever people, who can’t see how what to them is easy, is not easy to the average person.
I’m just about to donate to Kicad for the work and efforts that go into it, thank you.
Cheers, Camerart.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.