[SOLVED] Updating libraries

How do I update libraries?
I’m running Raspbian on a PI4 and Kicad 7.0.0
I downloaded new zip files for all the parts/footprints/3d.
But I can’t find where to copy them to.
The directories listed in Kicad configure paths don’t seem to be on the disk. But I can still see parts. I just don’t know where Kicad is finding them.
For example - I did a recursive search on buzzer*.* on the disk - nothing. But Kicad shows me a footprint for a buzzer.
Frustrating.

Standard location is in /usr/share/kicad/symbols and /usr/share/kicad/footprints
For symbols “buzzer” would be in the /usr/share/kicad/symbols/Device.kicad_sym library.
If you run an update to 7.0.6, the libraries will be updated automatically.

What do you mean by update? Do you have updated items from a newer release of the KiCad libraries, say a release from the KiCad library Gitlab repo? Or have you found items specific to your project that you want to use?

In the former case, update KiCad to 7.0.6 (currently) and you will get the updated items.

If the latter, you should create personal libraries. Consult @jmk’s FAQ for the procedure: Kicad 7 Beginners Guide to Personal Symbol and Footprint Libraries

The system libraries are read-only. If you attempt to update them with personal items, say as root, you will succeed, but you will be dismayed at the next update of KiCad when your changes get wiped out.

Thanks! This is what I wanted.
The package says the libraries are at: /app/extensions/library … which doesn’t exist.

I can’t update to 7.0.6 because this is Raspbian. Not unless I want to recompile it.
And I’m a linux novice. And I’m running this on an rPI 4. Hard to imagine it could compile very fast.
I’m at the mercy of the command line apt download having a new version. Not that often.

That’s because you’re using a flatpak and that path is internal to the sandbox. So just as well you can’t modify objects there which you shouldn’t anyway

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.