Updating components in schematic sheet

Hi guys,

I’ve modified a component in component library and I’d like to update all components in my schematic sheet to be in-line with the library.

Can you advice how to “reload” all components from the library?

Thanks

2 Likes

click on ‘Redraw Schematic View’ ?

It definitely works to save all your work (eeschema, pcbnew), close KiCAD and reopen KiCAD and then eeschema… if I did any changes to symbols it always asks me if they should be rescued from the projects library or if it should use the ‘new’ version from the local KiCAD library.

Yes, redraw works well for changes like adding another pin or component background change. But it doesn’t work in case of change in component field properties.

1 Like

You mean for the Value or Reference fields?
If so, then yes… those won’t be changed once you have them in your schematic and you change them in the library, you have to edit them there in the schematic.

I have the same problem: I’d like to reset symbol fields in schematic to the library defaults (filed names, values and coordinates) but at the moment the only official way to do it is to delete the symbol and reinstantiate it from the library.

Please vote for these two bugs if you want this functionality to be implemented:

I’ve also opened another wishlist bug asking for CSV export/import for schematic symbol fields:

Please feel free to vote for it.

I’m also looking for this functionality or for a work around…

The bug #1425134 got changed to ‘Opinion’… does this mean this won’t be considered anymore for development?

And yeah, I’m now also in the club of people who would like this, as changing multi-part symbols get’s quite tedious after the 2nd time when I want the library status reflected in the schematic.

Well, that’s the question to Simon Wells who changed the status :slight_smile:
At least now with KiPart in place it’s way easier to do field update but still this feature should be implemented properly.

If I understood correctly, this feature was implemented a few days ago in kicad nighties. Its a component table viewer that lets you bulk edit and group all the schematic components and their fields.
I’ve been using it and its an awesome, and much needed improvement.
For now its only for those of us who dare to use the nighties.

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer, just found the button:

Pretty neat.
Though, it won’t help with updating the fields from the library settings.

Same problem. Looks it is not possible in Kicad? So only way is make schema totally again?

First I make Schematic symbol, I draw schematic. “Oh… I forget… I forget footprint!”

I edit footprint in “Edit schematic symbols ctrl+l”, and now in LIBRARY it schematic symbol is ok; also footprint.

Of course in schematic I can edit all component manually and add footprint. BUT. Looks no clever way.

So: Now I have right symbol schematic in Library. How I can update it to schematic? I try several ways, but still- footprint field is still empty.

So: is it only way edit all components manually? Or, how I can update schematic symbol from library? Looks it is not possible?

I think your workflow is wrong. To assign footprints, you should be using Tools->Assign Footprints or Edit symbol properties.

You only need to edit the library symbol if you intend to create an “atomic” part, ie. a symbol with a dedicated footprint.

However, to update the fields of a symbol once already in the schematic, you will need to go into each symbol in the schematic and do “Update Field Values”.