Update PCB from schematic (Not Responding)

I checked my design and found a discrepancy with pin count between schematic symbol and footprint (an exposed pad of an IC which did not have a pin on the symbol). I have corrected it but still has the same issue. I will continue to check my design and post my findings.

If a footprint has more pins then the schematic symbol they’re just left unconnected. This does not generate an error or warning.

If the schematic symbol has pin numbers which are not in the Footprint, then it does generate error messages for that.

Have you checked with another project yet? This may indicate whether your problem is with your schematic, or with KiCad itself.

I have found the culprit. It is a footprint I made in which I imported a DXF file for outline and custom pads. It turns out there are “residual” lines from the file which were not deleted. I noticed it when I open the footprint, it zooms far out from the actual part. After I deleted those residues, I am now able to load the schematic.

I am using hierarchical sheets on my design. So, I loaded each sheets on another project one by one and try to load into PCB until I pinpoint which sheet has the problem.

Are you willing, to make a bug report for this on Gitlab?

KiCad can not work perfectly always, but it should at least be able to recognize there is some fault in your file and give you some sensible error message.

I agree with Paul, but there needs to be a way to reproduce it. It’s possible to create a confidential report which is accessible only by certain people who have privileges. That way you could attach a confidential project there, if you trust the team.

Alternatively, just sharing that single footprint could be enough. Preferably, make some dummy project in which that footprint is used, and which reproduces the error.

It has also happened several times before that (parts of) confidential projects are shared with some of the KiCad developers for helping in making KiCad even better.

If you’re really paranoid, but still want to help, you can even modify the footprint’s name and delete most of the pads and graphics. It does not have to be a working footprint. The only goal is to reproduce the error you have.

1 Like

Sure. I will make a bug report. I will replicate the issue and then send the files for debugging.

1 Like

As usual, if you create a (public) report related to a forum thread, please add a link to the report here. (The report itself isn’t must be self sufficient and there’s no need to link to this thread there.)

If you know how, it might be helpful to add any system information you can discover about the process, such as whether it’s running and consuming CPU time, i.e. spinning its wheels. I only know how to do this for Linux, not Windows so that’s as far as I can venture.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.