Understanding flags, hierarchical pins, etc

Hi - I’m new to KiCad - can anyone point me to resources or tutorials for how/when to use hierarchical pins, flags, etc… in schematics?

In particular, I’m interested in the following scenario as well:

• I have a complex schematic - I have a power sub-circuit that transforms 12V into 5V. The 5V output is used in a variety of spots in my schematic - can I create a custom flag for the output of the schematic and then use that flag in various spots in my schematic without having to actually connect wires so my diagram is easier to understand?

Flag is not the right word for anything that connects stuff in kicad. They are called labels and power symbols (also known as power port)

In general there are 3 label types differing by their scope. Local labels are only visible in the current sheet. Hierarchical labels together with hierarchical pins can be used to define the interface of a hierarchical sheet. And global labels are visible for all sheets (power symbols are global labels.)

Yes you can create your own power symbols. See Tutorial: How to make a symbol (KiCad v5.1.x) (Section about power symbols)

Regrading the use of hierarchical design: Hierarchical or flat schematic design, what is best for me? (How to deal with multi page schematics?)

1 Like

Thanks much - these links are super helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.