Unable to add graphics to symbol

KiCad 6.0.5 Symbol editor.
None of the graphics drawing tools work in this version for me. I am trying to create custom symbols but selecting rectangle, circle, arc or line tools do not allow me to draw any graphics. The cursor changes to a pen shape but left clicking to start and stop a line does not result in anything being added to the symbol. I can copy graphics from other symbols and paste them into the new symbol. It is then possible to edit them.

1 Like

There is a bug in v6.0.5 which kind of “disables” the graphic-tools after adding a pin to the symbol. gitlab-issue #11607. Symbol Editor: Unable to create any graphic elements after selecting "Add pin" function (#11607) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

workaround until v6.0.6:

• first add all needed pins to the symbol
  • now the graphic-tools don’t work
  • save, close symbol-editor
  • reopen symbol-editor
  • from now on use only copied pins, not the add pin function
  • than all graphic-tools should work

The bug is already fixed, so the usage of the 6.0.x-testing-builds (not v6.99-nightly) may also an option.

5 Likes

Thanks mf_ibfeew - I’m not sure I would have guessed that as a solution!. Many thanks, it works fine now.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.