Type 2 errors in schematic

Hello just recently started using Kicad
I am currently following the tutorials provided by kicad
I am having problems with my schematic basically i have a big green arrow saying some pins are not connected the errors wont go away no matter how many times i delete the unconnected wires and rewire i am wondering whats the real cause of the error
i doubt its just a pin not connected as i redrew the wire several times
the schematic is below
suggestions?
I am not able to upload the schematic as it say new users can upload attachmets

I don’t quite remember what the type 2 error is. Could you post the full error message?

It might also help if you post a screenshot of the area around the problematic connection.

Assuming type two is truly about pin not connected at all and not about pin not driven.
KiCad does not snap to pins. It only snaps to grid. So if your pins for one reason or another are not on your current grid you can not connect them.
A good way to ensure everything is connectable is to to always use 50mil grid in EEschema and also at least 50mil grid while placing pins in the symbol editor.

If a wire is not connected correctly you should see a small rectangle around the end. If a pin is not correctly connected there will be a small circle.

And remember that the arrow might not point to the place where you did forget to connect the wire. It points to the pin that is unconnected. If the wire connects to the pin but there is no other pin on the other end of it, it will still point to the pin.

iirc type 2 error is unused pins / not connected pins on components…
use “Not connect symbol” on those pins - right side panel blue coloured “X” - shortcut is Q

thanks apurvdate I have placed the colored blue X on the unused pins but i am still getting the same error i dont know how to upload the schematic as it wont let new users upload attachment copy and paste is not working

You should be able to upload one image (at least according to https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-do-user-trust-levels-do/4924/3)

Make a screenshot. Drag and drop it into the answer field.

thanks Rene this is what my sch

ematic looks like

i still have those big green arrows there I am not sure why
in the error report it says type2 error pin not connected i have erased the wire and redrawn it many times but still cant get rid of the errors

The little green boxes indicate the termination is not properly made. This gets to be more of a problem if you start changing the default grid size to ‘fine tune’ placement of things. This isn’t intuitive at first but you get used to it. Just because a trace crosses a terminal doesn’t mean it is connected. It must end on a ‘node’ otherwise every wire cross in the schematic would become a connection point.

I guess you changed the grid size some time since you placed R1 and D1. (The left pins of them are not connected. Look closely there is a small green square at the end of the wire and a small red circle at the end of the resistor. This shows you where the unconnected connection point of them is.)

Make sure you use 50mil grid. (Changing grid is done in the right click context menu or under preferences->schematic editor options)

Also note those little squares next to your labels. Those squares need to be on either a node or on a green line to apply the net name to the connection net. (Then the square will disappear, removing clutter from your schematic.) As it is now if you create a netlist and start creating your board you will discover that R1 is not connected to U1-6 like you apparently want. You also probably want your “LEDtoR” label between the LED and R2. If you connect that label to where you have it, when generating the netlist the net name will be overridden by VCC.

But yeah, hermit and Rene are pointing out your connection “wires” aren’t making connection to D1 or R1. You have the connection wire overlapping the component pins, instead of ending right on the pin end. Rene’s admonition about keeping a 50mil grid is because all the standard libraries (should) have the component pins ending on a 50mil grid. Allowing you to precisely drop connection wires on the end of the pins when drawing with a 50mil grid. (The pin ends and the wire ends must be on the same mathematical coordinate point. Close doesn’t count.)

1 Like

thanks all of you for responding I re-drew the schematic this time i made sure i did not change the grid like i did last time
I still end with errors though fewer this time i got errors on the input pins
i noticed when i terminate the wires with the blue “x” i dont get errors even tho in the tutorial i am following the blue “x” was not included and there was supposed to be zero errors and zero warnings

The wires next to the INPUT-labels (not connected to anything themselves, the net names are not “INPUT”) end nowhere. Connect those free ends together (a straight vertical connection it seems) and the problems are solved.
Get rid of the small green squares at the wire ends (and the black squares at the bottom left of the labels).

this is my sample schematic…
Please check the label attachment to nets… the label “square” should be attached to wire…
Also the not connect “X” symbol is not required for wires, it is only for component pins…

Thanks i finally got rid of the erc errors
I am unto the next stage now thanks all
i am now doing the foot prints now
the problem i am having is i can’t find the foot print Discret:R1 for the two resistors as suggested in my tutorial i dont see it on the right pane of the Cvpcb window
does anyone know why?
thank you

Read this FAQ post. (It is a link. What you see below is just a preview.)

Also your tutorial might be terribly outdated as the discrete footprint lib has not existed in the official lib for years.

1 Like

thank you… can anyone suggest a good tutorial for Kicad beginners?

This is the one that gets recommenced a lot here: https://contextualelectronics.com/courses/getting-to-blinky/

It is by the guy who runs this forum. I never watched all of it so i can’t really say if it is good. (I watched the first episode or so.) Just remember that kicad is extremely flexible and that there is more then one route to achieve something for most things. (Not all workflows suit everyones way of thinking.)

thank you Rene_Poschl

I found the official “KiCad Getting Started” manual a very good introduction in getting started with KiCad.
https://kicad.org/help/documentation/#_getting_started

On the documentation page of KiCad’s website there are also specific reference manuals for more in depth descriptons of the KiCad programs. There are also separate files for describing file formats, guidelines for designing libraries and much more.

On the Tutorials page there are more links to youtube video’s and other material.

Note: the “getting to blinky” is from “contextual electronics”, which is also menioned on the KiCad/help/tutorials web page.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.