To much design in pcb-design?

I have created a little 400 lines Python script to make a Studio Clock (multiplexed with a 16x7 matrix). It was a lot of work, but I wanted to see, how far you can go with scripting. The placement of the tracks was made with two aspects in mind. An Easy Pattern, for the scripting and a appearance that looks smooth as it wont have a housing.

Back to the Question. Is this to much design?

Some of my concerns:
-some tracks are very long and mazy
-over 200 Vias and therefore sharp corners
-a lot of rotations

This is not intended to be a totally serious question so throw in funny comments too.

2 Likes

The only real problems are (1) you can’t see through the PCB and (2) the traces won’t be green and red. Other than that, my only question is: have you generated the Gerber files to see if everything still looks the same? Since you use line segments everything will probably be OK, but in some cases such as a polygon approximating a circle, the fill code somehow recognizes that the polygon is a circle and then converts that circle into a 16-sided polygon and breaks the design.

Fantastic!

That’s easy, use a transparent PCB. If you use conductive ink, it might be possible to dye it different colors. Even without, it would look pretty cool.

For electronics as art, have a look at the work of Guy Marsden, e.g http://www.arttec.net/art/Relevators/DNR22/DNR22.html I quite like practical applications, so I was intending to create some “artistic” clocks, haven’t quite got round to it yet. Well, I made a Tix style clock, but that was just a copy.

But You can see the drill Holes of the vias and the relief of the copper traces under the solder mask.

You could use screen printing to apply different coloured solder mask (no idea if this is possible) :wink:

The Gerber-files are fine. The Polygon has only 60 Sides.

I posted the Project in my original StudioClock thread.

I think you can contact some reliable pcb manufacturers and get some comments from them.