Tips for running KiCad on Mac OS X?

Are you using my builds or the one from february? (2014-02-26)

I just checked on my computer and the fp-lib-table file is in the ~/Library/Preferences/kicad/ folder. And this works for me.

What do you see when you open the Preferences -> Library Tables menu? This is what I have:

I’m using build 2014-02-26 BZR 4721, so not one of yours because I discovered your build only after I posted above mail. My Preferences -> Library is empty if I don’t have the fp-lib-table in the Preferences folder and the
KIGITHUB variable set, but now when I have done those my tables dialog is almost identical to yours, apart from me not having all the environment variables set.

But I’ve downloaded your build 2014-11-27 BZR 5304 and will proceed to test it now.

Thanks for the help.

Works kind of better in that if click the eeschematics icon the schematics editors opens and comes in front of other windows, which it did not do before. However clicking pcbnew and pcb footprint editor (is that CvPcb now?) icons result in following error:

07:40:45: dlopen(/Applications/Kicad/kicad.app/Contents/PlugIns/_pcbnew.kiface, 10): Symbol not found: ___sincos_stret
Referenced from: /Applications/Kicad/kicad.app/Contents/MacOS/…/Frameworks/libcairo.2.dylib
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
in /Applications/Kicad/kicad.app/Contents/MacOS/…/Frameworks/libcairo.2.dylib
07:40:45: IO_ERROR: Fatal Installation Bug
missing file:
‘/Applications/Kicad/kicad.app/Contents/PlugIns/_pcbnew.kiface’

argv[0]:
‘/Applications/Kicad/kicad.app/Contents/MacOS/kicad’
from /Volumes/Home/Users/collinanderson/kicad/common/kiway.cpp : KiFACE() : line 219

Is there a better build as mention ‘one of my’?

Get latest builds form http://downloads.kicad.org/osx/

I’m just getting back into KiCad after some time away. Just to complicate things, I’m installing on OSX, to which I’m very new, and Windows; previously I’d only used KiCad on Windows.

First question - why is there no KiCad 4.0.0 RC1 for OS X?

Also: Are the latest OS X nightly builds considered to be generally as stable as the Windows builds, or does a good argument for running KiCad in a VM on OS X still exists?

Thanks for any insight - and especially, to everyone involved with developing and building KiCad.