Testing needed: new 3D plugin

Oh, I thought those were the last used colors.
I also looked for a “reset defaults” at some point, unsuccessfully.

@caer @luftek , please consider my latest updates that implement a reset to default options:
https://code.launchpad.net/~mrluzeiro/kicad/kicad_new3d-viewer

Let me know if it works for you!

2 Likes

@kammutierspule
is it intentional that default values have “OpenGl” “Show Copper Thickness” disabled?

@maui
I didn’t reviewed the values, I just used it as it was.
I can change it form something else, but defaults will always be defaults…
I’ve just pushed it to be ‘true’.

1 Like

Thank you @nickoe for these compiled installers!
Tried to compile for Win10 with Winbuilder yesterday and it compiled but don’t know if I should search for installer? .exe stay in separate folders. If I place them with libraries they work.
I must have missed something.

Thank you @kammutierspule!
Reset to defaults settings works very well for me. Back to “boring” green:

Sorry that I didn’t gave feedback on this yet…

I downloaded the 2 versions that were up about 3-4 weeks ago (BZR 6005 and 6046).

I either did stuff wrong or I’m too dumb or was not careful enough.

• I doesn’t show VRML models?
  • I couldn’t make real sense of the render options (the raytrace output was pretty pixelated)?
  • I didn’t get the center-pcb-to-mouse-point working?

I’d have made a more thoroughful test, but didn’t had time really and it doesn’t look good for the next couple of weeks, so I just wanted to get this off my chest in case it helps you along.

Test system Win7 64bit Home Premium.

If possible try test always the latest version (building it :wink: )

• Make sure you have the 3D models options selected, so it will show the models.
  • Raytracing runs in two passes: first it show a preview, then it starts render. You will find in the status the progress of the render.
  • The center pcb to mouse clock, you can either press using the middle button or press space bar. You must hit the PCB board bounding box (it is implemented this way at this time… )
1 Like

Ok, will dl and test asap. Thanks for your work!

In recent kicad 3dviewer version the environment variables path were broken… particularly if using KISYS3DMOD as system var in windows… if the var is set inside kicad paths VRMLs should be displayed… I’m not sure if that behavior has been solved in latest version but they are aware of that bug…

1 Like

Oh, good to know. Might have been my issue actually. Thanks for pointing it out to me again.

It’s not fixed yet; the patch is about 2 months old and still waiting.

[update] The problem with KISYS3DMOD being ignored unless it was also defined via Preferences->Configure Paths has been fixed since the related patch set has been merged with the development branch.

More testing/comment is needed for Mario’s new 3DViewer. We’re hoping to merge this with the main KiCad branch soon. Among other things you get a view of the footprint and 3D models in the Footprint Properties dialog so you can immediately see how the offset/orientation values you set affect the position of the model with respect to the footprint.

Linux and OSX users currently have to build from source:
https://code.launchpad.net/~mrluzeiro/kicad/kicad_new3d-viewer

Windows users have access to a nightly build:
http://downloads.kicad.org/windows/testing/kicad_new3d-viewer/

For users who can build the OCE plugin, you will be able to see STEP and IGES models in the 3DViewer:

Downloading… will try to get it running tomorrow. Thanks for the work guys!

@cbernardo and anyone else testing…

This is great!

That said, I don’t have the skills to edit the code, and I’m not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but whenever I import a WRL file converted from STEP file, I have to scale it down by a factor of .3937 = cm -> inches. It’s odd. Anyway to look into this? I don’t think my CAD software is scaling anything incorrectly, something in KiCad.

@gismofx that’s a KiCAD thing. @maui will probably chime in.

What CAD software do you use? The safest way to convert STEP to wrl is to either use Maurice’s tools in StepUP, or this stand-alone one:

In both cases the converters translate from mm as the base unit to 2.54mm as the base unit so that KiCad will be happy with a scale factor of 1. Both converters also make sure that kicad can process the file.

There are a few issues to be addressed still, but once the new 3DViewer is merged and the OCE plugin is added to the main branch, then there will be no need to use wrl files converted from STEP; the new 3DViewer + OCE plugin can render STEP files.

1 Like

[quote=“gismofx, post:34, topic:2808”]
but whenever I import a WRL file converted from STEP file, I have to scale it down by a factor of .3937 = cm -> inches.[/quote]
this is historically the way in which 3d-viewer is rendering units… this is not going to be changed, so any wrl model has to be scaled or when created, or you will need to add a scale factor inside the wrl model place dialog in kicad
The best option is to scale the model when you create that, for a better mechanical integration…
here there is a set of tools for mechanical collaboration in kicad

the only requirement is a working copy of FreeCAD (0.15 and later)
these tools are compatible with kicad from release 4022 to stable (4.0.2) to latest dev version

and here a thread about the new mechanical library that is useful if you want to have a mechanical design of your kicad project

1 Like

I’ve tested the new 3d viewer on windows 10, previously some boards seems to crash the program ( ones that have rounded rectangle pads) and trying to view the 3d view of an element form its proprieties menu crashes KiCad. and… . now it has no such problems.
the new viewer is noticeably faster than the old one.

1 Like

I fixed that issue yesterday.
Thanks for testing it!

2 Likes

Ok, back from a spin with #6065 3D special version.

I didn’t try to load STEP files yet.

Very nice that one can center the view on any place of the pcb now - VERY helpful. :kissing_heart: :heart_eyes:

Loading times for VRML files and also the scene takes it’s time (OpenGL, not the renderer)… feels longer than with the ‘old’ version on the same machine. Simplifying polygons takes pretty long. Final scene render times (OpenGL) are similar to the ‘old’ version. Once it’s running it’s no problem though.

One thing I have always wondered… is it not an option to use oversampling to get rid of the jagged edges/lines view in OpenGL?

:thumbsup: