Template for tracks, vias, pads...?

Hello,

I’m a KiCAD beginner. I work on a PCB for an amplifier based on the TAS3251 (HSSOP + 0805 SMD). As I’m new to PCB design, I have read the tutorials and some how to.

To minimize errors I would be happy to start the layout with a list of tracks /pad / via width and clearance. I understand that those can be configured in the Design rules module, and can come from templates. However the standard templates focus on layout dans headers.

Would somebody be able to point out to a template with lists of tracks /pad / via width and clearance ? Or a document where I would find relevant values to copy ?

Best regards,

JMF

What does this mean? I’m not sure what more you want than the default values. KiCad has conservative “works everywhere” default values. There was a thread about minimum safe values (as small as possible but still working with most cheap manufacturers), I can find it if you want.

If the tracks are for current rather than just signals you have to calculate or estimate safe values for track width, KiCad has a calculator for that.

Thanks eelik,

I have seen the default values. Maybe it doesn’t makes sense, but I was looking for standard basic values like small / medium / large…

Or SMD / feedthrough… I imagine that people use some sort of standard sizes for those items, and I would be happy to start from them when the 10/10 does not makes much sense.

JMF

Ok. Maybe this can give some hints: Design Rules "lowest common denominator"

@eelik The only thing that I might add is that it seems that board houses seem to be trying to stay competitive and are showing capability of doing the smaller clearances. But, board designer beware, unless one personally sends out a test board, there is no way to really know what will come back.

Thanks for the information. I will start from those rules.

Best regards,

JMF

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.