Symbol Editor - Save As

Thanks a lot. I cannot ask for better than that… :smile:

I think we will have to get @BobZ to make more requests on Gitlab.

Under 24 hours and: :drum: :drum: :drum: :tada:

The “Save As” works perfectly. My only very minor problem on opening the Symbol Editor was needing to increase the width of the Item column (but maybe I had been playing with this last use of 8.99)

The old “Save Copy As” nearly works properly also. The only problem seems to be if you:

Modify the Kicad Library part.
Use the “Save Copy as” function
Highlight a Personal Library then OK
Click Save

Then not only is the modified symbol saved in the allocated Personal Library, but the modified symbol is saved in the Kicad read only library, and there is no yellow warning bar reading “no can do”.

Could others please check the newest 8.99 behavior of “Save Copy As” before I write a bug get Bob to write a bug report on Gitlab. :slightly_smiling_face:

Further investigation: Using the “Save Copy As” function, you can now create a new symbol, place it in a Personal Library, then transfer it to any Kicad read only library. You can also create a new symbol and place it directly in a Kicad read only Library… woops!

Application: KiCad Symbol Editor x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 8.99.0-unknown-8c8c38a359~181~ubuntu22.04.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.1
FreeType 2.11.1
HarfBuzz 2.7.4
FontConfig 2.13.1
libcurl/7.81.0 OpenSSL/3.0.2 zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.4.8 libidn2/2.3.2 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.2) libssh/0.9.6/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3 OpenLDAP/2.5.18

Platform: Linux Mint 21.3, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, X11, cinnamon, x11
OpenGL: Mesa, NV106, 4.3 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 23.2.1-1ubuntu3.1~22.04.2

Build Info:
Date: Oct 12 2024 22:04:57
wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.74.0
OCC: 7.6.3
Curl: 7.81.0
ngspice: 43
Compiler: GCC 11.4.0 with C++ ABI 1016

Locale:
Lang: en_AU
Enc: UTF-8
Num: 1,234.5
Encoded кΩ丈: D0BACEA9E4B888 (sys), D0BACEA9E4B888 (utf8)

I thought I’d better raise the bug issue:

Give 'em a chance to sort out the problem before the next nightly. :slightly_smiling_face:

How did you manage to write to the system KiCad libraries as they are owned by root?

Hi @retiredfeline

Using any of the above methods. See below example. I created a 4001.5 cmos IC and placed it in the Kicad 4xxx library. The screenshot is from the Symbol Library Browser in the Schematic Editor. :slightly_smiling_face:

ksnip_20241013-210403

But /media/jan/… is not the standard place for the system libraries; they are usually under /usr/share. Did you make a copy of them?

They’re not in user/share. I’m trying to find out exactly what this Save Copy As is doing.

Kicad has created a backup folder with all the Kicad Libraries including the modified 4xxx library on my D drive.

8.99 is now accessing this backup file instead of the user / share Kicad libraries.

So in a standard release with the new code KiCad would not be able to modify the system libraries but it could still err in attempting to save modifications.

Yes

Note how Kicad has replaced usr/share/kicad-nightly/symbols/ with media/jan/janD/testsym/symbols.

I suppose Kicad decided D drive was the place to place this modified library because everything not downloaded from the Kicad site is kept on a different drive.

It seems there was another bug involved with my problem. I didn’t notice, or expect, Kicad creating a backup library and also changing my Symbol Libraries path, until retiredfeline commented.
When I reinstated the correct path, the “Save Copy As” function works correctly. The other bug has been fixed for the next nightly edition.

Hey, wait!! I know you are not 100% serious but I am flirting with a consulting gig right now and I don’t want to confuse matters by accidentally doing work using 8.99.

Most of what I have been doing is using my existing personal library symbols as starting points from which to make new ones. That is the best way to perpetuate errors!!

Same here.
Personal libraries for 8.0.x, copies for 8.99 and backups to perpetuate those errors. :slightly_smiling_face:
This whole affair only happened because I was testing the new “Save as” and old “Save Copy As” by shuffling symbols between Kicad and Personal libraries.

Thanking Rene Poschl again…

Today I was wondering why I could not get pin numbers appearing on a symbol which I had just made. In this rare instance, I was able to find that exact subject thread discussed on the forum, but based on (I think it was rev 5.X) so the discussion was closed maybe 5 years ago.

Several posters attempted to help, but those bits of advice did not work. It was Rene who mentioned that it was a setting in the overall symbol properties and not in the pin properties. I gave it a “heart” but I guess he is no longer participating to see it… :frowning: