Symbol Editor 5.1.5 Multipart problem

In 5.1.5 Symbol Editor
Number of units = 5
Trying to make a multipart symbol. Units A,B,C,D are the same except for pin #layout
Unit E is power

In Symbol Props I have checked “All unit are not interchangeable”
In Sym Ed, "Synch Pin Mode is DISABLED.
When I edit the Lines for the image, these propagate to ALL units. This makes it impossible to have one set of lines for the active units and a different lines for the power unit.

Ref: From Rene’s FAQ:

In unit A disable “common to all units” for the triangle. Use the block copy trick to copy the triangle to unit B. (Any element for which you disable “common to all units” will be “removed” from all units except the one that is active while you deselect this option.)

Where is this option located? Has it gone away?
Is it possible the line editing function isn’t honoring the option of different units?

Application: LibEdit
Version: (5.1.5-133-g9cb60dcdf)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.66.0
Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Progress
The individual elements of the symbol, in this case, relay contacts, have a Property of “Common to all elements”. In Unit E, unchecking the box for the Normally Closed element, then deleting it, removes that element from all Units.

As US TV commercials say “But Wait! There’s More!”
Just playing with Unit A, I edit and uncheck the Common To box. Del the item and Control-Z to restore it, it does restore IN UNIT A. The element (a contact) has been deleted from ALL UNITS.

It appears that to require editing the properties of ALL ELEMENTS in ALL UNITS.
Continuing to dig deeper.

I have made a tutorial for a similar task with version 4. It is a bit different in version 5 but should still be a good inspiration: IC footprint VCC+GND

Rene - thanks.
I’ve gotten the symbol made but the process is very specific for the ORDER of the events.

In Symbol Editor:

I started with an existing relay symbol and made a COPY
Editing the copy, edit the symbol for the SPDT relay and nothing else.
Edit each element of the symbol to indicate NOT COMMON element.
NOW make it a 5 Unit symbol
Copy the image from Unit A to B, C, D. This propagates with the elements NOT COMMON.
Edit pins of A,B,C,D
Create a new image for Unit E with just the relay coil.
With this method, all of the units are made with unique elements.

Don’t copy the elements from Unit to Unit until all of the elements are marked as unique.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.