Strange bit of rastsnet is shown

I found a strange bit of ratsnet on my board. Design rules checker and clean up tracks and vias are happy with the board. What tools should I use to find the problem. I’ll include some ugly tracks I have done.

I found a couple of partial tracks without connection to rest of net, but that didn’t remove the odd ratsnest.

This is version 6.0.6 of KiCad in windows 10.

Edit: You have to click on the picture to see the problem.

You have two unrouted items:

You have lot’s of GND via’s going to “somewhere”. I guess they go to the blue bottom layer, but that also has lots of tracks, and your GND plane is probably cut into little pieces which are isolated from each other. That is under the assumption it’s a two layer PCB. But anyway, make the zones visible, refill them with b and check their connection.

A decent GND zone is quite important (mostly for EMC, but also for high speed signal integrity, and if you don’t keep a close eye on it then it will turn into a bit of a mess.

Also, on a side note, You’ve got two vertical tracks changing layers twice to make room for two horizontal tracks also changing layers twice just to make room for each other???

I also see you have some troubles with differential pairs, would you care to add some comment about this in:

1 Like

Ah. There are actually two ground layers on the board. I don’t think that is a problem. And anyway, some tools should say if there are missing grounds

Good. Where are they?

How should I know? You’ve got the PCB.

Or:
Run DRC again, then you have tree tab pages, one for the violations, one for the unconnected items, and one for “Schematic Parity”.

Thank you. Just what I needed.

I don’t really know what to say. I can do some differential routes, but I don’t think myself as an expert.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.