STEP Kicad 6 - in step file only pcboard, without 3d models

I have problem with export to file STEP in Kicad 6.0. When I open step, a heve only pcb, without any 3dmodels. Is problem with generation of STEP in Kicad 6.0 ? This is also with sample projects. Problem STEP in Kicad 6 ?

log:
Read file: ‘C:\KiCad\share\kicad\demos\sonde xilinx\sonde xilinx.kicad_pcb’
Build STEP data
Add component R14.
Cannot add a VRML model to a STEP file.
Add component R9.
Add component R4.
Add component R13.

Add component J1.
Could not add 3D model to J2.
File not found: ${KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR}/Connector_Dsub.3dshapes/DSUB-9_Male_EdgeMount_P2.77mm.wrl
Searched paths:
C:\KiCad\share\kicad\3dmodels\Connector_Dsub.3dshapes\DSUB-9_Male_EdgeMount_P2.77mm.wrl
Create PCB solid model
Build board outline (3 items).
Build board cutouts and holes (74 holes).

Generate board full shape.
Write STEP file

****** Statistics on Transfer (Write) ******

****** Transfer Mode = 0 I.E. As Is ******
****** Transferring Shape, ShapeType = 0 ******
** WorkSession : Sending all data
Step File Name : $tempfile$.step(7200 ents) Write Done

STEP file ‘C:_smietnik\sonde xilinx.step’ created.

Why ?

try the setting: “Substitute similar named models” in STEP-export dialog
step_01

Thanks, it works !!! :slight_smile:

but… Can I export vias to STEP ? I haven’t vias in step file.

Apparently KiCad’s STEP export isn’t so detailed. Try FreeCAD with StepUp workbench and import the board file there.

Step Up is excellent but it doesn’t import copper details. If you need more detail in your step model, this might be worth investigating.

This is 4th complain about this checkbox from v6 appearance. This is not going to be improved in v6 lifetime (aka one of strange kicad developer decission, imo, Step export: Be more verbose about "Substitute similarly named models" and missing step models (#10291) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab).

I suggest for forum moderator to add info about this checkbox in faq section here so we could quickly drop a link where to look at for next user.

1 Like

I don’t know about V6 (I’ll stick with 5.1.12). Nonetheless, I’ve done a handful of FEM Thermal Analyses in FreeCad where I needed the Pads and Traces.

I went through my usual process to figure it out and solved the problem. Knowing what to do gets it done about 90% of the time. Occasionally, it hiccups but, finessing the aspects of the solution fixes it.

So, what are steps to use? As follows:

You must have a Good PCB design, especially with respect to the Traces and Pads.
Then, the first thing to load in KSU (stepup) are the Traces (there’s an Icon for that).
Then, load the PCB/Parts.

If trouble, look at the items I mention, above.

Quick example (Both Top and Btm view)…

This One Was Always Trouble Until I figured it out… showing Traces/Pads, only…

You can write a FAQ article, you don’t have to be a moderator to do that. If your “trust level” isn’t enough to adding a post to the FAQ section or modifying the TOC, a moderator can move your post. I’ll promote you to “regular” level because you are a regular anyway.

1 Like

Thank you, I will do that.

1 Like

hooray!! V6 STEP 3d model export: Missing components or completely empty board is exported

1 Like

I don’t understand why the default is unchecked as V5 behaved as if it was

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.