Standard logic IC's showing logic gates content instead of a rectangle

Hi …I would like to have a symbol of a standard logic IC,for example 74HC132 ,allowing me to pick the requested gates for schematic .
I could draw it easily,but it would be good and time saving, to have the whole family ,or at least some ,of the 74xxx symbols in that form.
Thanks for hints.
Diego

1 Like

Welcome @Kicadiego

When you add the symbol to the schematic, Unit A will appear. Each following left mouse click will place another gate in that symbol. For a 74132 you will need to left click your mouse five times.

1 Like

In the initial stages of a schematic design it can be beneficial to use the canvas area outside of the paper size as a temporary holding area to park all sorts of snippet. From extra gates to repeating sections (for examples 8 wires of a databus with attached labels (and bus entries)). Such snippets can than easily be copied or moved when needed.

1 Like

Thank you.
It happens for 74LS132 but not for 74HC132,this appears in form of a rectangle.
Wich is the cleanest way to add it in the form i need?
In this last few weeks I have enjoyed the power and smartness of Kicad, but I still can not master it. In some post I read that the best way is to save personal symbols )and footprints )in a different folder, because the libraries default folder could be deleted and rewritten during updates.It is true?
Thanks again

I was wondering what the difference was, so I tried it myself. It turns out the HC version is not in KiCad’s default libraries at all. A simple solution / workaround is to first place all units of an 74LS132, then open: Schematic Editor / Tools / Edit Symbol Fields and then simply change the Value Field for the HC variant.

Yes. KiCad’s default libraries do get updated. At least with every mayor version release, and when you run KiCad-Nightly (which has it’s own set of default libraries) they do get updated quite often ( Once a day or week)

1 Like

I suggest you read the FAQs (top of this page).
There are a couple about Personal Libraries.

A comment to your specific case:
the 74xx library is very good, but very “1980ish”, being focused on 74LS parts. I personally copied the whole library to a personal library and renamed all the parts to 74HCxx, while pruning obsolete parts. I now have a perfectly functioning 74HCxx library. If other families are needed, I just rename the part in question in the schematic (eg, 74HC132 → 74ACT132).

1 Like

If you got the block style 74132 that comes from the 74xx_IEEE library. I would suggest ignoring or disabling the 74xx_IEEE library as the symbols there are not the ones most people are used to. They’re there for people who need them, like reproducing an old schematic’s looks. I once used an old 7490. If I were doing that schematic again, I’d probably rename the 74LS90 symbol.

Most (all?) of the 74HC parts are derived from the corresponding 74LS part, see for example 74LS00 and 74HC00, but it appears this hasn’t been done for the 74LS132. The fastest way to get something working is to rename the part in your schematic as ML9104 says, from 74LS132 to 74HC132. If you will be using it often, you could save a copy in your personal library. If you’re really community-minded you could submit a merge request for a 74HC132 derived from the 74LS132.

1 Like

Hi @Kicadiego

Below is a reply to a post I wrote yesterday. This explains how to place a Kicad library symbol into a personal library and also how to rename that symbol.
You need to move the 74LS132 to a personal library and rename it to 74HC132.

If you do not yet have personal libraries this FAQ https://forum.kicad.info/t/kicad-7-beginners-guide-to-personal-symbol-and-footprint-libraries/38738 explains how to create personal libraries.

1 Like

Yes, avoid the _IEEE logic libraries. They’re old and do not conform to the KLC, especially with regards to power connections.
KLC:

For your (and others’) inspiration, I attach my personal 74xx symbol library. It’s a good basis, but reflects my own style (which may not be to your liking):
0_74xx.kicad_sym (465.1 KB)

3 Likes

Thank you for your answers to the topic question and to other questions appeared during discussion.
I am impressed about all these quick reactions and patience showed in answers.
I will check about how to subit a merge request.
Thank you to you all.
Diego

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.