Special tools - rotate help!

Hi, first post here :smiley:
I’m trying to create what is bacically, a round board with a hole in the middle. I have the center of the hole in the middle set at 0,0 co-ordinates. To create the board edge, I have created and imported from FreeCad to 0,0 co-ordinates.

My preference is to rotate the board to work on different areas,

My problem is that the center hole appears to drift away from the 0,0 co-ordinate after numerous rotates.

I have it set to 'Rotate around local coordinates origin.

What should I be doing to stop the drift?

There is no real solution to this.
KiCad uses 32 bit integers (with nanometer resolution) for it’s internal coordinates and rotatioins generate floating point numbers, which mean you will always get rounding errors.

2 weeks ago this issue was also relevant in this thread:

Maybe it could work if there was a function or script to round coordinates to some multiple of 10nm or 100nm. If that’s done in the “normal” position every now and then, it could reset those accumulated errors before they grow too big. But I am not aware of a plugin or script that can do this.

A manual way to do this is to set your grid to for example 0.01mm, and then drag each footprint around a bit so it snaps to the grid, but this is tedious and far from ideal.

So currently the only way is to not rotate the PCB at all and use another workflow.

Are you aware of the “Place Footprints” plugin?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.