Some schematics are getting deleted when I close and open the KiCAD

Hi,
I’m using KiCAD 6.0.0 rc1.
I’ve used multiple page (using hierarchical page). I had 9 pages of schematic.
I’ve saved and closed. When I opened today complete schematics on pages 2 been deleted.
Is there way to get back?
I don’t know why this is happening and moreover this is the 2nd time it’s happening initially 5 pages been deleted.I’ve redrawn everything.

But this time I had added footprint and was in Layout section and suddenly these things is a headache.
Please need some help.

You are using a development snapshot of a future release are you aware of that?

For reference the current stable release is 5.1.5.

Regarding the deletion of schematics: Check if the files got deleted or if they just do no longer show up the way you think they should. The project manager (main kicad window) only shows schematic files that are not used in the project. It might also be interesting if the files are ever created in the project directory.

Post the full version string from help->about->copy version info.

Not just it’s an unstable development version, it’s also pretty old for that. If you are willing to take the risks attached to using nightly builds and continue using them (I encourage that and especially reporting any bugs), keep it up to date, otherwise it’s not useful for KiCad development and you won’t get new features.

i could see the files the contents are deleted(power_sch,power.bak.
Do you think Is it a good idea to change from KiCAD 6.0 to KiCAD 5.1.5 in the middle of layout or should I move after completing this project?
I’m afraid if I loose the files if i change to 5.1.5.

Yes my bad.
I should’ve rolled back.

Hey It’s happening again but this another 2 pages been completely erased :cry::cry:
Application: kicad
Version: 6.0.0-rc1-unknown-2fdf13a~84~ubuntu16.04.1, release build.
Should I change to version 5.1.5(I’m worried that if i move will I be able to open the same files or I’ll have redo it?)
Errors been attached as image.
Please help.d

Unfortunately 5.1 and 5.99(=the current nighty builds, previously tagged as 6.0.0rc1) aren’t completely compatible. The schematic file format is compatible because the file format was frozen until replaced with a totally new one. But you can’t properly open a layout without manual tweaking.

BTW, Rene already said

That gives us the way to identify the version exactly - the ubuntu package version tells nothing.

If you have touched the files only with KiCad and KiCad and the same KiCad version can’t open them anymore, it’s a serious bug. But the development version can have such bugs and is a moving target - therefore it’s important to keep it updated so that you get the latest bugfixes. Of course new bugs can be introduced…

1 Like

Any way to restore?
Application: kicad
Version: 6.0.0-rc1-unknown-2fdf13a~84~ubuntu16.04.1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.2
libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2g zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.32 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.15.0-72-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
Boost: 1.58.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.8.0
Curl: 7.47.0
Compiler: GCC 5.4.0 with C++ ABI 1009

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Hey,
I can see the missing schematic components list in the fp_lib table.
Anything can be done to restore?

(fp_lib_table
  (lib (name 2309407-1)(type Legacy)(uri "/home/ch/CHIPSTER/EC25_LTE /EC-25_KiCAD/EC25E_LI.pretty/2309407-1.mod")(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name Footprint)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch//CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name QFN50P450X350X100-21N)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch//CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/QFN50P450X350X100-21N.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name SOT65P220X100-3N)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch//CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/SOT65P220X100-3N.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name 1066)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch//CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/1066/1066.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name 1932638-3)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch//CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/1932638-3/1932638-3.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name 503182-1852)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch//CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/503182-1852/503182-1852.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name TVS-DIOM794X590X262L114X305N)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch//CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/Power/TVS-DIOM794X590X262L114X305N.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name C3225X7R1H106M250AC)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch//CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/Power/CAP-C3225X7R1H106M250AC/C3225X7R1H106M250AC.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name TPS54561DPRR)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch//CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/Power/TPS54561DPRR/TPS54561DPRR.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name Buck-Diode-DIO_PDS360-13)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch//CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/Power/Buck-Diode-DIO_PDS360-13.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name Tant-C-16TQC150MYF)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch/CHIPSTER/CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/Power/Tant-C-16TQC150MYF.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name LMR14050SDDAR)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch/CHIPSTER/CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/Power/LMR14050SDDAR/LMR14050SDDAR.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name 1757242)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch/CHIPSTER/CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/Power/1757242_Tbloc/1757242.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name TL1963A-33DCYR-SOT230P700X180-4N)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch/CHIPSTER/CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/Power/TL1963A-33DCYR-SOT230P700X180-4N.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name TL1963A-33DCQTSOT127P706X180-6N)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch/CHIPSTER/CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/Power/TL1963A-33DCQTSOT127P706X180-6N.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name TPD1E10B06DPYR)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch/CHIPSTER/CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/CAN/TPD1E10B06DPYR/TPD1E10B06DPYR.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name OSCCC200X160X50N)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch/CHIPSTER/CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/CAN/OSCCC200X160X50N.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name ABM8G-25.000MHZ-B4Y-T)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch/CHIPSTER/CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/Ethernet1-2/ABM8G-25.000MHZ-B4Y-T/ABM8G-25.000MHZ-B4Y-T.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
  (lib (name QFN50P700X700X90-49N)(type Legacy)(uri /home/ch/CHIPSTER/CAN-RK3399-Carrier/Footprint/Ethernet1-2/ABM8G-25.000MHZ-B4Y-T/QFN50P700X700X90-49N.mod)(options "")(descr ""))
)

At least line 2 seems fishy. It seems to point to the folder that contains mod files which might not be the best idea. (.mod files are the pre version 4 footprint library files. One such library contains any number of footprints so it should not be contained inside another library.)

The high number of double slashes is also a bit fishy.

I am not sure what you mean by that. Footprints are most definitely not schematic components. A symbol has a footprint assigned (or should have at the time of going to the layout) See What is the difference between footprints and symbols?

I also can not see anything that would look the same as your error message.

Oh yeahh I’m sorry i didn’t see that I saw only missing part number and posted. sorry for that.
Any ways to restore or I’d have to create again?

Your version is over 1 year old. It doesn’t make any sense to use that old development version. Bugs are fixed almost daily. I suppose you don’t actually have any reason to use a development version.

One should either 1) use a stable version, or 2) use development versions updating regularly, take the risk of loosing data and preferably report new bugs.

If I now move to stable version, will I be able to open the old files ?

As I said in an earlier post, probably not without tweaking. But it’s not clear to me if your projects has a layout. If there’s only schematic, it should be compatible with 5.1.

We will not be able to give you a guarantee about that. But to be honest if it does not work then you can still go back to using nightly. (newer nightlies can almost certainly open the files created by older ones)

You can of course give the whole project here, it would be possible to check the project files. Only the library files outside the project can’t be checked that way. But it could move this forward. The project could even be converted to 5.1 if that’s necessary and possible.

(@Lakshmi gave me the project in a private discussion.)

There’s nothing wrong with the schematic files. The whole project can be opened with 5.1, even the layout file which has nothing but ungrouped footprints. Change to version 5.1.5.

The footprints in the library table have been imported from snapeda and apparently you have tried to add them to the library table. I find snapeda’s own instructions strange, and I can’t get it working with Rene’s FAQ instructions. (EDIT: I got it working with Rene’s instructions, I don’t know why it didn’t work at the first attempt.)

Here’s how I do it:
0. Clear the project’s fp-lib-table in Manage Footprint Libraries dialog.

1. Add the footprint folders. You can add any empty folders; don’t get fooled by the fact that the .mod files are there already - I just use them because they exist already, not because the .mod files are there.

2. Open the Footprint Editor. Now you can see those empty libraries.

3. Open File->Import Footprint from KiCad File.

4. Change the file filter to All files.

5. Navigate to a .mod file and Open it.

6. The footprint is in the editor.

7. Save. KiCad asks to select the library. Select one of your new libraries.

8. OK. Now the footprint has been converted to latest file format and is in the library.

Note to all users: this isn’t the official way to do it - it abuses the fact that KiCad finds the first footprint in the old library (.mod) file. But it works.

As for the disappearing schematics, I can’t find any reason except some bug in the unstable development version.

Is it possible you switched kicad language for the screenshots? There were reports that kicad did not allow importing of legacy footprints if setup for some non english language

One thing comes to mind about the missing footprints. Maybe you have moved the project after adding the footprints. You can see in the library table that the paths are absolute; they can’t work if the project is moved because the footprints move together with the project.

In this case KiCad didn’t replace the path with the variable KIPRJMOD, probably because the library folders wheren’t inside the KiCad project folder. You have to do it manually. See the 1066 library here for an example.

This way the project will be portable. However, if you change the whole projects folder structure you have to update the paths.