Some footprint libraries not appearing? (help?)

Bear with me, I’m new at this software (and forum), finally transitioning from Protel 99SE (!!!)

Some of my libraries, such as Package_QFP, are not appearing in the Footprint library browser, but they do appear in the same directory as other libraries that are working correctly.

In particular, I wanted to place an ATMEGA328PB, so I added it to the schematic, and it referenced footprint “Package_QFP:TQFP-32_7x7mm_P0.8mm”. But when I try to browse to that footprint using the viewer, it’s not found.

The file is there, in C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad\modules\Package_QFP.pretty\TQFP-32_7x7mm_P0.8mm.kicad_mod but it doesn’t show up when I browse footprints.

I’m missing a lot of others as well! Comparing the footprint folders shown in the Footprint Editor vs. my kicad/modules directory, a TON are missing.

Any idea what’s up?

This is a brand new install, not sure what’s going on. Thanks.

I know it can see the other packages, because if I browse to a similar footprint called “Housings_QFP:TQFP-32_7x7mm_Pitch0.8mm” it works fine.

The Housings_QFP is in the same directory as the Package_QFP, so I don’t know why it’s seen, but Package is not.

If I add the missing library manually to the Footprint Library Browser, it does work, but why aren’t all of them in the directory added automatically? Is there a way to do so?

I might have answered my own question -

Seems like I have to manually add them, which is a little odd since so many are automatically added (how are those chosen?)

It would be nice to have a feature that added all needed libraries automatically, when a symbol with included footprint is added.

This indicates you still have the version 4 library active (most likely via the dreaded github plugin). You might therefore want to read this I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

1 Like

Thanks very much, that was the case, I’m sure I played with v4 at some point before installing v5. Deleting fp-lib-table seemed to fix the problem. (And I haven’t done much work in kicad yet so it didn’t affect projects).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.