[solved] Problem with "read the netlist" in newPCB

Good Morning,
Since last night I tried to read the netlist of Eeschema with newPCB but I still have the same bug (Tested on 4.0.7 and 5.0 RC2),
I have installed several libraries but I still have the same bug.

PS: In this project I used the DB9 and DB15 connectors by default

Thanks in advance Benoît,

Project : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UKBH41rZPt4ZCmojyHl0PkQKtyMVUYEY/view?usp=sharing

Info: Reading netlist file “\Utsn02\groupe\CTN\PROJETS\Bus électrique\05 - Documentation\Draft\PCB Convertisseur DB9 DB15\PCB Convertisseur DB9 DB15.net”.
Info: Using references to match components and footprints.
Info: Checking netlist symbol footprint “J1:/5B197A42:”.
Info: Checking netlist symbol footprint “J2:/5B19786C:”.
Info: Checking netlist symbol footprint “J3:/5B197744:”.
Error: No footprint defined for symbol “J3”.
Error: No footprint defined for symbol “J2”.
Error: No footprint defined for symbol “J1”.
Error: Cannot add new symbol “J1:/5B197A42” due to missing footprint “”.
Error: Cannot add new symbol “J2:/5B19786C” due to missing footprint “”.
Error: Cannot add new symbol “J3:/5B197744” due to missing footprint “”.

Could you try to switch kicad to english and re create the error output that way?
Kicad main window->preferences->language
(With luck the error messages will then be in english and more people will be able to help=

You need to associate your components with a footprint. Conventionally this is done by running CvPCB.

1 Like

Ok if @John_Pateman found your problem you might want to take a look at this FAQ post: How can i assign a footprint to a symbol?

In this project I used the DB9 and DB15 connectors which are installed by default

Info: Reading netlist file “\\Utsn02\groupe\CTN\PROJETS\Bus électrique\05 - Documentation\Draft\PCB `Convertisseur DB9 DB15\PCB Convertisseur DB9 DB15.net”.` 
Info: Using references to match components and footprints. 
Info: Checking netlist symbol footprint “J1:/5B197A42:”. 
Info: Checking netlist symbol footprint “J2:/5B19786C:”. 
Info: Checking netlist symbol footprint “J3:/5B197744:”. 
Error: No footprint defined for symbol “J3”. 
Error: No footprint defined for symbol “J2”. 
Error: No footprint defined for symbol “J1”. 
Error: Cannot add new symbol “J1:/5B197A42” due to missing footprint “”. 
Error: Cannot add new symbol “J2:/5B19786C” due to missing footprint “”. 
Error: Cannot add new symbol “J3:/5B197744” due to missing footprint “”. .

Most connector symbols of the official lib do not have a footprint pre assigned. You need to assign the correct footprint for the component you can buy. (Be careful, Sub-D connectors are not standardized on the pcb side. So select a component at the distributor of your choice and check if there is a fitting footprint anywhere in the library. Otherwise you will need to create the footprint your self.)

Read the FAQ post i linked above for more details on how to assign a footprint to your symbol.

If you need to check footprints against your part you can take a look at this tutorial: Tutorial: How to check footprint correctness?

If you need to make your own footprint it is suggested to put it into a personal lib instead of putting it into a system library. A guide for creating a new footprint lib can be found here: Creating a new footprint library

Thank you for your help :slight_smile: , I did not associate symbols with footprint.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.