[SOLVED] Logos/Drawings in Eeschema

Hello!

does anybody know how to import graphical symbols in Eeschema? Or are the ones in the library really drawn line by line ?

I would like to be able to do something like this in the schematic, but I could find how to do it in KiCAD.

Thanks!

In Kicad manager there is a bitmap to component converter. Load a bitmap, chose format to EEschema, press Export and type a filename for a new symbol library.

Kicad library format is simple, just a plain text:

EESchema-LIBRARY Version 2.3
#
# LOGO
# pixmap size w = 447, h = 356
#
DEF LOGO G 0 40 Y Y 1 F N
F0 "#G" 0 -1843 60 H I C CNN
F1 "LOGO" 0 1843 60 H I C CNN
DRAW
P 54 0 0 1 1495 ... F
P 44 0 0 1 1450 ... F
ENDDRAW
ENDDEF

you can even copy poly line (line starting with “P …”) to another library file using just a notepad. Format is so simple that can be generated with python script.

Thanks a lot, I have been using the tool for a while for my footprints, but I never paid attention that it can also export symbols :flushed: .

I created a temporary library, I used the library manager to copy the logo from the temporary library to the library I wanted and then I deleted the temporary library file. I all “just works” :wink:

Just one thing to note - if you save your logo in the system libraries, it will get overwritten when/if you update KiCad. You should store your own assets in a personal library.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up John, I’m doing that with my symbols and footprints!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.