SOLVED: KiCAD on Catalina

Great. Thank you very much for your help.

Try this command in terminal window:
sudo chmod +x /Applications/KiCad/kicad.app/Contents/MacOS/*

I have not upgraded to Catalina yet but on previous macOS versions, you had to explicitly allow installs from locations other than the app store. Check in the System preferences > Security & Privacy and ensure that you have allowed installs from ā€˜App Store and identified developersā€™. You still have to do the ā€˜open with control keyā€™ pressed.

And there is some more information here https://www.imore.com/how-open-apps-anywhere-macos-catalina-and-mojave

2 Likes

@nanosri, what exact dmg did the student download? You should use the one with 10_14 in the file name. (Intended for 10.14+). As as the README instructs you to, you need to right click and select open the first time.

Not really a macos user here, but it works for me on catalina. Both versinos of the dmg even.

There is only this warning because the builds are not yet signed, but that is expected.

1 Like

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. @nickoe - yes, he did download the one with 10_14. Still he was unable to open it and was getting that error. @John_Pateman - thanks for the tip. I will ask him to check that. fred4u - Iā€™ll ask him to try this as well. Iā€™ll update if I get an update from the student.
Thanks again.

Thank you all very much for your help. Finally I got the student to share his screen with me using video conferencing and I realised that he was not getting the button to ā€œOpenā€, but only ā€œMove to the binā€ or ā€œCancelā€ when he did Ctrl+Click, even though ā€œApps Store and identified developersā€ was checked. I also realised that it would have taken me an hour to get him to do the workaround suggested in the link suggested by you @John_Pateman, to allow any software to be installed and then to remove that again.
However, thankfully, when he did the Ctrl+Click, there was a ā€œ?ā€ help button along with ā€œMove to the binā€ or ā€œCancelā€, and from that help window, there was a link to the Security and Privacy window. By unlocking at that point, using his admin password, he was able to open KiCAD.
Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.
Best,
Sri

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.