[SOLVED] How to best put hardware mount points on a schematic

I have a schematic that does not have any active circuitry.
For example, just a socket for an IC with pins going to test pins and some hardware holes for mounting the PCB onto standoffs.

I want to connect the mount points to GND. What symbols do you use in schematic for mount points? Will testpoint work or is there something better?
Also, when I connect 4 mount points to GND symbol, ERC complains GND is not driven. What’s the best way so that ERC doesn’t complain? Or is it OK because it’s an odd circuit that doesn’t have a proper schematic?

The Mechanical library has symbols for mount points with and without a connection. The one with connection is called MountingHole_Pad

This is what I use for a earthing/frame

It happens to use a keystone part and is set up to allow me to use either a mounting post or an earthing wire depending upon how I populate

Robert

1 Like

So you still have to use the PWR flag and the GND symbol, along with some symbol that will have a footprint, a footprint that will create a hole for M3 screw for example. OK, I haven’t been using the PWR flag.

The pwr flag is there for the electrical rule check to know where power comes from if you do not have a component placed that already defines this. More details: ErrType(3): Pin connected to some others pins but no pin to drive it

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.