[solved] Does anyone use 4xxx_IEEE and 74xx_IEEE libraries?

I can’t speak to why exactly the “general purpose alternate symbol styles” proposal got rejected, but I totally get that the devs aren’t keen on dragging the current “de Morgan equivalent” feature along which is only useful for two lousy types of logic gates.

Maybe there is something wrong with our priorities then? If even with 3015 KLC errors and 1591 warnings, the library is still “ok”. There is no way that lib would get accepted today!

Not sure what you’re saying. Not every building which isn’t up to code anymore is condemned and demolished on the spot, right?

I’m not certain why hidden power pins are a problem, but am pretty sure that a small script could fix that very quickly.
“Current visual style” sounds like corporate BS to me, sorry. A schematic is made to be read and understood, colour schemes and logos have no place there.

Maybe I’m missing what this thread is actually about…

What is this thread about?

What’s a KLC error? Google or Duckduckgo bring nothing.

I think it is pretty obvious what I am saying.

Oh yeah, but such a change would never get through review. Otherwise I would have done it years ago.

I do use a few IEEE symbols for ICs that are not otherwise represented in the ‘traditional’ 74xx and 4xxx libraries.

Since these symbols are going away, I’d better get busy saving the symbols I need to use. Good to know.

Don’t worry, the consensus is that some people use them and find them useful, so they won’t be removed.

Quite frankly, it’s a bit of a mystery to me what the Library Team at KiCAD wants to do. One month it’s this, next month it’s that. And the team members keep changing.

Save the current library as installed, and make your own as needed. And keep a backup. That’s what I read from this thread.

I remember now why I don’t bother asking people for their opinions :smiley:

1 Like