[Solved] Add pin sockets to RPi Pico design

Actually, just thinking about it, why do I need pin sockets when literally my PCB has holes for the pins that are on the picoH, why not solder that straight to the PCB? I’m stupid lol. So I guess Choice 3 is the best option, and cheapest probably

Good question and my answer is:

Having soldered many (far too many) somewhat expensive items to a PCB only to find I need to change something then, to un-solder the parts have taught me to use Pin Headers.

In fact, I just finished an astronomy gizmo that uses a $45 Teensy4 and made sure to use a Header… Hard to see it but you can see some ‘black’ color around the base of the Teensy

2 Likes

I fully agree with BlackCoffee here.
I also got a cup of that stuff between me and the keyboard right now.

I also prefer to use connectors for development boards in the prototype stage. Microcontrollers are quite fragile and they can get damaged too easily. If it’s in a socket, then you can easily replace it. I also always have more then one development board for the projects I care about. If I then have doubt, I can swap the board for another to compare.

I do not like the square pins with the high sockets though. I use thinner (looks like) gold plated round pins, and these fit into “turned” IC sockets (you can also buy these in single row).

That wouldn’t be part of a digital setting circle by chance would it?

@hermit Yes, and here’s my (quick, crudely made) YouTube video (which contains links to my previous DSC and 3D-printable parts…

ADDED: FYI - the only two things I would do to current design (for a Rev1) would be to add a 50k Trimpot to dim the TFT’s LED (BreadBoard example photo added below) and cleanup/reposition the Pad’s for the wires (just for cleaner/convenience). It works quite excellent, if I do say so myself :smile:

1 Like

This was my automatic assumption for the original post. Black Coffee is not the only one to have “been there, done that” :slightly_smiling_face:

You know, that’s a good point. Back to what I originally was gonna do. Thanks y’all

In the meantime, would you all be kind enough to give feedback on my project? My main thing as of right now if it will work in general, in the sense of nothing will kill itself.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.