Solder mask mods

When editing the solder mask, it is rendered in reverse. You draw where you don’t want any mask. This is common with many CAD systems. I do some microwave work where I typically don’t want solder mask on the board with the exception of certain small areas. Might there be a way to mirror the mask layer? A vendor can probably do it at the CAM stage. Any suggestions?

TIA
bdh

I seem to remember someone here came up with a (or a suite of) external script(s) to manipulate gerber files directly. I recall that merging gerber layers was one of the big features, and I think I remember that making a negative was one of the features. I haven’t been able to find the thread about this though. But, maybe I’m able to rattle someone else’s memory for you.

Combine gerbers (useful for negative text) ?

1 Like

I remember merging gerber files way back in the DOS days. Wonder if I could do that from the command line? Otherwise I can ask the fab house to do it for me.

Thanks.

bdh

Yep, That was what I was thinking of.

That is exactly what the combine gerber scripts are for. Once you’ve generated gerbers, you run the script(s) from the command line. Then check the results with at least KiCad’s gerber viewer. Better to check with multiple gerber viewers and finally if the board house you are using has one their gerber preview.

You may need to put a fill on an unused layer. Then draw where you want mask on your board on the mask layer. After generating the gerbers, subtract the mask layer from the layer with the fill and send the result to your board house as your mask layer.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.