Snap-lines for aligning elements etc

Agree!
The developers (hopefully :slightly_smiling_face:) know and understand the capabilities of the programme and how functions may be assimilated.

Do you have an open mind on this? Or are you dug in? If you are persuadable, get yourself familiar with a drawing package that uses snap-lines, and come back to us in a few days when you are up to speed with it. Iā€™m sure you will appreciate the merits of the suggestion.

If you are dug in, then thereā€™s probably little value in continuing the conversation.

I donā€™t think the OP is reporting a problem that needs solving, like a bug report. They are asking for a feature which is widely used on technical drawing programs because it makes life easier. Iā€™m certain that hundreds or thousands of change requests over the years have been for suggested enhancements rather than asking for solutions to specific problems.

An old friend is a retired architect. Iā€™ve watched it in use on his program
I use Libra Office Draw
I use Inkscape.

The function is EXTREMELY useful on those programmes.

I just honestly cannot see a purpose for it in Kicad.

Give me some good, explicit, examples of its use and you may convert me. :slightly_smiling_face:

Excellent! However, I think this would be better answered by the OP, so Iā€™ll step back for now and we can watch what he comes up with. :blush:

1 Like

The only possible use I could envisage is for:

Kicad 8, available early next year, will be able to have independent X & Y grids.
This function is already available for use and testing in Kicad 7.99 along with Grid Lines brightness, thickness and colour.

Then you must rigourously implement this not allowing alterations to grid like we have now

Texts and Graphics frequently need other (usually finer) grids.

In the development version 7.99 nightly, it is possible to have different grid settings for different object types. I have not tried it out in detail yet, but my understanding is that it makes it possible to keep pins and wires on the 50 mil grid and at the same time have a finer grid for text placement and similar.

Yeah, it is pretty cool!
You can do all sorts of things :grin:

1 Like

If I have understood it correctly, if you check ā€œConnected Itemsā€ and have 50 mil like in the screenshot, then regardless what grid you choose for your ā€œgeneralā€ grid, it will still enforce 50 mil for symbol pins (connected items). Grid overrides in other words means ā€œenforce this grid for this object typeā€.

Correct, @hmk

Any number of grids may be created.
Grids can have names.
X & Y values of grids can be independent of each other.
Works the same in the Symbol Editor.

Any grid existing in the Grids list may be applied to the items listed in the Grid Overrides.
If the Grid section is setup in conjunction with the Schematic Setup, there will probably be no need to change grids whilst drawing.

The whole system now works brilliantly for rows and columns of text (amongst other things), as well as keeping pins on their correct grid.

A big :+1: to @mikebwilliams for his efforts :grin:

1 Like

I just remembered that Inkscape (another Vector Drawing application) also supports the concept of Snap Lines, although they call it Guides (and occationally Guide Lines)

Object bounding boxes, edges, nodes and centers will snap to Guides, if snapping is enabled.

They work in much the same way as in LibreOffice Draw ā€“ you drag a guide in from the rulers, as can be seen in the tutorial Working with Guides in Inkscape

Worth knowingā€¦

Kicad has some Calibration Footprints.

You can Edit them to increments of 2.54 (and divisions/multiples) and save as new footprint.

I donā€™t bother but I did change line widths and layer - someday may change Line-Widths of the 1mm axis indicators)

ADDED: Itā€™s useful to set the Grid to ā€˜Linesā€™ and set Opacity as desired. Then, just toggle Visibilityā€¦

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.