Skipping some components on PCB creation

I always use two versions of the circuit diagram - one is complete and the other has connectors only for the off-board components. I find it easier to work that way.

2 Likes

Hello all,

1. In case you didn’t know the “#” symbol is called an octothorpe. Look it up in your Funk & Wagnalls. (They used to publish dictionaries.) Today you can look it up in an online dictionary.
  2. The printed circuit board (PCB) schematic diagram is often a cut-set or subset of the printed circuit board assembly (PCBA) schematic diagram. A case in point is a fuse, with ref des F1, and a pair of fuse clips, that would have ref des of XF1A and XF1B (but since KiCad can not handle individual parts with suffix letters, you would use XF1E1 and XF1E2). The PCBA schematic would then be complete as far as showing all three items, 1 fuse and 2 fuse clips, and so your parts list (PL) would be complete. Then you copy the PCBA schematic over to what is going to be your PCB schematic and delete the fuse (ref des F1). Your PCB schematic is now complete as far as those parts that make up the PCB layout.
  3. I suggest you have a look at ANSI/ASME Y14.44 Reference Designations for Electrical and Electronics Parts and Equipment, Figure 3 Reference Designation in a Typical Schematic Diagram. [Do a search on the internet for this “standard”. I found a pdf copy from a Russian website.] To explain: The Unit Numbering Method of applying reference designators uses reference designator prefixes to be added to the basic reference designator in multiple levels. It works like the directories and files (tree or roots of a tree) system on your computer.
  4. I did a project where I had three assemblies that consisted of a Front Panel, a Rear Panel, and a Main PCB. The system schematic diagram showed all three assemblies including all interconnecting cables and connectors. On my System Subdivision diagram (See ASME Y14.44, Figure 7 Typical System Subdivision) I assigned the Front Panel a ref des prefix of A1, the Rear Panel a ref des prefix of A2, and the Main PCB a ref des prefix of A3. On the system schematic you might have A1R2W1P1 connecting to A3J3, thus all electrical/electronic parts are accounted for as far as a PL. Then I copied the system schematic three times for the three assemblies. For each individual assembly I deleted all parts of the other two assemblies, leaving only parts having to do with that particular assembly I was working on, and then deleted the ref des prefix from all ref des, leaving basic basic ref des for that particular assembly.
  5. I have submitted to KiCad that Eeschema be able to handle mechanical-boundary lines, which is how the different assemblies and subassemblies are segregated, wherein the ref des prefix is assigned to the mechanical-boundary line and thus all parts within only have to carry basic ref des. I have not heard yea, nay, or otherwise from anyone. If you or anyone has any questions about this method, give me a hollar.
    –Regards, Larry
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.