"Show Module Ratsnest" function missing in new versions!

I just upgraded to 5.1.5.0 on OSX and the function where you click M to move a resistor or whatever and it shows the ratsnest lines ONLY FOR THAT COMPONENT, then when you place it the lines disappear.

This was awesome. I don’t know how to work effectively without it! Why is it gone?! Can we have it back?!

Not gone just different. I am on mobile so can’t double check but thee is some way to switch to a mode where you select which footprint shows its ratsnest lines.

I am not very familiar with this feature and do not know how it is supposed to work. My expectations are however that if I turn of global Ratsnest (on the left button bar) and enable “Local Ratsnest” on the right button bar (see screenshot), that I would see ratsnest lines for a component while moving a component. And these ratsnest lines do not appear.

I could be wrong, overlooked some setting, but it may also be a bug.

> Application: Pcbnew
> Version: 5.1.5-52549c5~84~ubuntu18.04.1, release build
> Libraries:
>     wxWidgets 3.0.4
>     libcurl/7.58.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1 zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.4 libpsl/0.19.1 (+libidn2/2.0.4) nghttp2/1.30.0 librtmp/2.3
> Platform: Linux 4.15.0-88-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
> Build Info:
>     wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.22
>     Boost: 1.65.1
>     OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
>     Curl: 7.58.0
>     Compiler: GCC 7.4.0 with C++ ABI 1011
> 
> Build settings:
>     USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
>     USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
>     KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
>     KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
>     KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
>     KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
>     KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
>     KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
>     BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
>     KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
>     KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
>     KICAD_SPICE=ON

Hi Paulvdh and Rene,

The way it worked previously was the program would automatically show the local rats nest for a given component as soon as you executed a M command to move the component. That ratsnest stayed visible until you plunked the component down. It was great and lends itself perfectly to doing layout and initially placing components.

In the new version, the only way I have found to show a local ratsnest is to separately going over to the menu to click the button Paul shows above, then clicking the component with this tool (crosshair cursor is now shown).This is TWO extra clicks and clicking a menu, plus as soon as I execute the M command, that local ratsnest is not showing. So, much much less useful than before.

Clearly there is a difference in behavior between the 2 versions… Am I explaining this well enough?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.