Set net for arc on copper layer

Thanks a lot for the new nightly! Just to confirm what I found:

• I can create tracks from Arcs (arcs being on the user.drawings Layer)
  • I can create tracks onto F.Cu and B.Cu (did not try other layers)
  • I can assign nets to these tracks
  • After assignment, rats nest also takes these tracks into account
  • I can change the trace width afterwards (of the track itself), without having to change the width of the original Arc - neat.
  • During manual tracing, DRC checks seem to be applied to these tracks (at least: trace distance, via distance)

I did not try:

• Changing Arc parameters of the track after conversion to track - I changed the original Arc on the user.drawings layer and re-converted to a new track
  • Verifying whether DRC checks work between multiple Arc tracks (I had them spaced out well enough)

What was unexpected:

• I read that the copper layer onto which the tracks should be placed should be active. This prevented me from selecting the Arc on the user.drawings layer however. I found out that that was caused by my setting to dim the other layers (in Layer Display Options). After setting this to “normal”, the feature works as advertised!

Nightly used:

Application: KiCad PCB Editor

Version: (5.99.0-12624-gdf2afd8345), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.64.1 SecureTransport (LibreSSL/2.8.3) zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.39.2

Platform: macOS Catalina Version 10.15.7 (Build 19H1417), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac

Build Info:
Date: Sep 29 2021 15:14:31
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.76.0
OCC: 7.5.3
Curl: 7.64.1
ngspice: 35
Compiler: Clang 12.0.0 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

2 Likes

This is intentional, to make it easier to select things in a “busy” design you can use the layer display mode to prevent selection of anything on a different layer.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.