Schematics Errors, pin driving mismatch

Dear all,
It’s been not long since I’ve started working with KiCad tool. So far I have created my first schematics in KiCad and it seems to be quite complete besides the fact that by running the “Electric Rules Check” it comes up with 67 warnings which are related to ErrType(4)/ErrType(3)/ErrType(2). It looks like those kind of errors are happening when the lines are not marked as “power” , some OPs write that using the generic Power_Flag on those nets will get rid of this bloody error, which is not the case in mine. I have tried so far to add various “power_flags” analog, generic but it just changes the places of ERC markers from one part to another.
I’d like to share my schematics here and would be very helpful to receive some tips on how to overcome this errors.

David

My KiCad version data below

`Application: kicad
Version: (5.0.2)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON!`

Might start here to understand pin types and why you have “mismatch”.

[OT] Are you sure of your crystal oscillator circuit ? Usually, the two caps are located on each side of the xtal and grounded. They’re not connected to the uC…

2 Likes

Good catch! If pictures really DO give a better explanation than words, seed a search engine with “Pierce Oscillator” and look carefully at the schematic fragments that show up.

Dale

thank you for showing me the crystal circuitry failure. I have connected the capacitor wrong, but now they are corrected.
Although I am more concerned with the other errors in schematics related to ERC check. It looks like I barely get which of those errors are to be ignored and which corrected.

Believe it or not, programs like KiCAD seldom throw an error for no particular reason. Until you have a good understanding of what conditions the ERC and DRC algorithms are looking for, and the common faults behind those conditions, the prudent approach is to clear out ALL of the squawks.

I will give you one piece of information commonly overlooked by inexperienced users:

• The “markers” placed by ERC and DRC are not necessarily located at the exact location of the fault.

Rather, the marker simply identifies the net, trace, or component which is associated with the fault. The fault may, in fact, be located at the far end of the trace from where the marker is. Or, the fault may be at some intermediate location between the marker and the far end of the wire, trace, or net.

Many of the common ERC and DRC squawks are explained by FAQ Articles . If you are still puzzled, bring specific questions here to the Forum. Include the full text of the error message, and a (legible!) screen shot of the affected area from your board or schematic, if possible. Even with that information, sometimes it is necessary to work with the actual project before the source of an error becomes obvious - so don’t be surprised if somebody asks you to post your project’s files (or a simplified version of your project, that triggers the same error).

Dale

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.