Schematic Library is Missing HELP

Hi,

I got a problem. I installed ver. 5.X…
But in the end, it doesn’t include the schematic components library.
Is there anywhere a website from where I can download them, or can anyone send me the complete .lib folder?

Thanks in Advance,

Kai

Just curious:
Why did you install KiCad V5?

A few months ago KiCad V6 was released, and that has about 3 years of development in it with many new and improved features.

Apart from that, you most likely have a problem with the sym-lib-table file, and I just answered the same question about 10 minutes ago in:

I got a windows 7 computer, and can’t install KiCad 6. I always get a NSIS error. The only version I could install was the version 5. KiCad 6 require minimum Windows 8.1. I don’t like it. Also I’m a young trainee, so I don’t have a lot money for buying a new computer.

If I’m not mistaken that is because KiCad 6 uses a modern version of Python, which requires Win 8.1 or above. So it’s not really a choice made by the KiCad developers.

If you’re on a budget you can install Linux or install Windows 10 without activating it. You don’t really have to buy Win 10 if you can live with an annoying text at the lower right corner of the desktop, and without the ability of changeing the background image.

Thanks mate,
I didn’t knew that I could install Win10 without activating it. I have to check the performance on my computer and see, if I could an get an update.
But I think my mum has got an older Win10 laptop and she recently bought a new computer. So maybe that is an idea.

Thank you!

You use windows 7, and then you connect it to the internet?

Are you even a bit curious about Linux?
I’ve been running it for years and it runs just fine on even old hardware.

If you’re even a bit curious, then I recommend to install Linux Mint. It is one of the most popular Linux distributions, and it is very friendly to beginners. It “just works”.
You do not even have to install it to experiment with it, you can just download it, write it on an USB stick and then boot from it to try it out. If you then want to install it, you double click on the install icon on the desktop.

You also do not have to wipe windows 7 to install Linux Mint. Just having an empty partition on a HDD or SSD is enough. Linux Mint should detect your windows installation and add it to the boot menu.

When making such changes, there is always a chance that “something” goes wrong.
A more robust way is to reserve a complete SSD or HDD for Linux Mint. Then you can use the boot disk selector function of your BIOS to either boot windows or Linux.

1 Like

I know that Linux is a powerful and mighty tool, if I can say so. But I only had contact with it when I worked on my raspberry pi.
But now I got my mum’s laptop with windows 10. Now I can install the latest version of KiCad.
Thank you very much.

Kai

I’m old enough (60+) to be used to tools I have been using for years, and some programs I write have to work at Windows (our customers needs it) so I consciously limit myself to Windows. But everything here says you are young and because of it I will (like others) recommend you to use Linux (even I have never used it myself). I just believe them that it is a good choice.

Using partition didn’t give you the same robustness level as using separate disc?
I was sure that I have to set partitions before any system installation, but recently I noticed that in Windows 10 I can rearrange partitions working under Windows. Big surprise to me. I got Windows 10 PC a month ago but I didn’t moved to it yet. The problem is it has no RS232 ports and we decided that instead of using USB-COM adapters we will redesing our old tools (PDI programmer, crypto key container) to be USB and not RS232. When it will be working at my old WIN7 PC I will move (with all my work) to WIN10. KiCad 6 also waits for it to be done :frowning:

If you work with partitions, then you have to depend on a Linux bootloader to start windows, because windows refuses to acknowledge a PC can be used for anything else then it’s own os.

If you just work with partitions and you decide you don’t like Linux, then you have to put some other bootloader back if you want to remove Linux completely.

If you install Linux on another drive and use your PC’s bios to switch, then you do not have to change a single bit on the installation of your windows disk. If you don’t like Linux, just set the bios back to boot that other OS, or rip out the Linux disk itself. There is no need to fiddle with bootloaders, because they have not changed. SSD’s are also so cheap these days that it’s hardly a bump to conquer.
If your PC is new enough for fast USB 3.x ports and you use an SSD with an USB3 Adapter cable or external housing you do not even have to open up the PC.

I once installed Linux Mint on a keychain USB stick. It did work but that ran quite slow and was not fun to work with. Now I think of it, that PC did not even have USB3.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Burning ISO image

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.