Run kicad 6 on fedora 33

Hi, I need help with setting up kicad 6 on Fedora 33 (for testing). I was trying to use:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/g/kicad/kicad/
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/aimylios/kicad-nightly/
but both give kicad 5.99

Thx
Bartek

There is no v6 yet, 5.99 is what will eventually become v6 so you are on the right track.

So the only way to try kicad 6 now on fedora is to build it locally yes?

Noone can try V6 as it is in active development.
This is what 5.99 is, this is the development version number and is in feature freeze.

5.99 will become 6.0.0-rc# once a shortlist of bugs have been resolved, which will become V6 once a further list is resolved.
The nightly’s are new builds based upon the changes merged at the time the source to build is pulled

1 Like

No compilation needed. There is a nightly section installation for Fedora: https://www.kicad.org/download/fedora/

Is this precedute not working?

Some time ago there was a KiCad V6 for development, but that was likely to be confusing when a stable version of KiCad V6.0 would be released. So it got renamed to KiCad V5.99.

V5.99 is the active development for what is to become KiCad V6.0 It gets updates at least several times a week. ( [Edit] I do not update daily.)

So if you find a KiCad V6 somewhere it is very likely an old development version.

An average of 20 changes per day over the last few months :smiley:

1 Like

Ok, now I know why I found YT videos and post on other sites about v6. One more question, what about libraries. I’m starting a new project and I want to push some footprints I will make for it to the official library. Libraries for KiCAD 5 were frozen. Is it a good idea to start the project using new libraries (if kicad nightly build will be stable for me) or should I use the official 5 versions and develop footprints only for my own (I assume that it will need conversion from 5 to 6 version before merge request to gitlab).

My KiCad-nightly came with it’s own set of libraries:

KiCad-nightly can very likely (have not personally verified) the KiCad-stable V5 libraries without problem. KiCad should always be able it’s older file formats (Well, maybe not from KiCad V1.0).

If you want to contribute to the libraries, it probably does not matter much whether you start with V5.1 or V5.99. KiCad V6 stable will hopefully just be a few short months away.

If you want to contribute to the libraries then start with:

If you use kicad for anything critical (ie for work) then i suggest stick with the stable release. After all you don’t want to loose a day or two waiting for a bug to be fixed when your financial future is at stake. If it is for a hobby then consider that there are a lot less resources (tutorials) out there for the nightly builds (they change so fast it does not make sense investing time into any form of documentation). See Is it a good idea to use a nightly build version?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.