Router doesn't work like it used to

I, on the other hand, can’t imagine even trying with one or two clicks. This may depend on the boards and their requirements. My boards are always small and space restricted, full of pads, vias and traces (sometimes there’s no even GND zones at all, only traces. Imagine 20x10mm, MCU and 3 USB connectors.) I continually have to move things to make more room for something. When I have one or two tracks ready and am routing a third, that new one pushes the old ones somewhere where they shouldn’t be. Sometimes to the other side of the board, beyond several pads or footprints. Therefore I have to “micromanage”, even though I usually use the PNS mode.

But it would be soooooo much easier and quicker to use PNS if the changes which PNS make wouldn’t be so drastic and far-reaching. (And yes, I don’t have “Jump over obstacles” checked. I don’t even know what it does - it’s very difficult to see any differences in behavior with that even after trying.)

Another very difficult thing with a small board with full of items is trying to add vias. If I press V there’s no room at that exact spot. But the interactive router can’t easily find space for it even when there would be nearby. The router doesn’t even show why the via doesn’t fit, or even that it’s trying to fit a via there at all. Then it suddenly jumps to a different place, moving all surrounding traces and vias to some unpredictable places.

I’m pretty sure that the developers don’t do such boards. Otherwise the router would already be much easier to use.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.