Rounded Tracks Reloaded ... again: RF Tools for KiCad

@maui: Confirmed! Thank you for making KiCAD a professional-grade package!

1 Like

@nickoe any news on this?

As a temporary workaround for Via Fencing plugin, I’ve added the pyclipper library for the actual kicad deployed platforms:

• win 64 py 2.7
  • osx 64 py 2.7
  • linux py 2.7 & 3.6

The plugin should try to first load the os pyclipper, if not available it will try to load the one included with the plugin itself.

@John_Pateman @davidsrsb @Anool
would you mind to update the plugin and, after having renamed/removed the pyclipper in your system, test the new plugin?

@jos
I’ve added also a check for DRC … it should be fine now :smiley:

1 Like

Tested and working, the DRC works too :ok_hand:

1 Like

Yes, this now seems to work in macOs with KiCad 5.1.4 without the pyclipper.so dependency. Thank you!

1 Like

Looks much better.

Apart from that I noticed ‘something’ occasionally disconnects a fill zone from its assigned e.g. GND net. In this case there is only a filled zone on the top layer.

Thouth this might ‘just’ be an issue in the current master branch.

this shouldn’t be related to the plugin…
do you have a sample board to share to reproduce it?

I have found that the ‘master’ 5.99 branch has issues in deleting objects through python code, causing even a core dump on linux…

You more or less confirm that this is most likely a mastery developmental ‘temper tantrum’. I actually noticed that behavior, even without to deploy your plugin.

The GND fill zone got intermittently disconnected while messing around with fill zone geometry rearrangements.

Expect all sorts of unepected Python behaviour as the KiCad developers try to work around Python 2 being dropped in several OS

Hi,

sorry for the simple question - I got the RF Tools installed and can create taper footprints using wizard. What I can not do is to add taper symbol to my schema like in this post:

Do I need an additional uWave library?

@xaled You may find the following links useful:

Hi maui,

thanks for sharing the info! I know how to create new symbols, but I was assuming that there are already symbols available in some library. Can you share the uWave Library shown on the screenshots?

If I’m reading @maui 's example image correctly, you can add testpoint in the schematic to the pin for which you want to use Taper. Assign taper footprint to that testpoint.

xaled Of course you can.
Something like this would do.
It basically manifests as a round clear pad on B.Cu.

Thanks guys for the test point advice. I was thinking about the special forms that maui uses for the test point symbol. It is just esthetics but if they are available why not share it?

Now I see what you need :smiley:
I will include those libs to the repo…

Great, sorry for not being clear enough from the beginning.

I’m attaching here a full portable example using Bend & Taper (schematic, schematic lib, footprint & pcb included)
uWave-Taper-Bend-Example.zip (10.4 KB)
I will include it in my GH repo later on, within the other RF examples.
bend

I forgot to ping @xaled

KiCad plugin’s blog post on Hackaday

2 Likes

I’m very impressed by these plugins. Great for RF design!

Installation of the plugins from the command line was simple (On Linux, KiCad 5.1.5):

1. install the Python module pyclipper
  2. cd into one of the directories KiCad searches for plugins in (See link to plugin doc earlier in the thread)
  3. git clone https://github.com/easyw/RF-tools-KiCAD.git
  4. Start pcbnew and you will see the new icons in the top row

I assume a git pull will be enough to keep the plugins update with fixes/improvements.

Thanks for creating these plugins :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.