Rounded corner track discussion

make them 6… I hope we will have real curved tracks in V6.0, really it is important to have this feature.

1 Like

Is this the PCB for the famous Jim Williams fast edge pulser?
If so would it be possible to share the KiCad design?

BR Felix

1 Like

Me too, I have been doing flexis for 30 years. It is the standard way to connect military circular connectors to the main PCB in a tactical radio

1 Like

I don’t know how many people want to penalize their boards (except when the board does something wrong), but out of interest: which popular EDA packages have panelizing support? Is it really a “basic” feature?

1 Like

not really, usually people use fab house for this…

The tool we use at work has that capability https://www.orcad.com/products/orcad-panel-editor/overview. We panelize the boards to match the particular parameters of our manufacturing process (including pick and place, soldering, de-panelling, in circuit test etc).

Yes, JW Avalanche Generator. Well spotted. I’ve PM’d you but I would be happy to put this on GitHub if anyone else was interested. I have yet to produce one and I don’t really have good enough equipment to full test this design.

4 Likes

The final product is the single PCB, not the panel. The panel is internal in manufacturing, and must be made according to the requirements of the manufacturing process. Different manufacturers or batch sizes require different panels. It is then best to let the manufacturer to take care of the panelization.

And indeed, as elekgeek states, this is how it is usually done: the EMS asks the bare board fabricator to supply a panel to his spec; for the fabricator’s CAM software it is a piece of cake. If CAD supplies a panel chances are it is wrong, and the fabricator must depanelize and repanelize. (Worse, the data is typically ‘flattened’, the definition of the single PCB and their location is lost, and it has become a single big PCB. This is a nightmare in fabrication, for instance in electrical test: what is the meaning of a net number in a panel? There are few things a fabricator hates more in incoming data than a flattened panel.)

For the majority of use cases there is no need for CAD to panelize, quite in the contrary.

Then there is the use case of internal manufacturing, brought up by bobc. There a panel is needed. No discussion. In the example the CAD system is used, or abused, for CAM functions. The question is whether this is desirable to load the CAD system with that. There is quite inexpensive software dedicated to panelization, I believe. Compared to the cost of an assembly line its cost is surely peanuts.

CAD software has other priorities than panelization.

3 Likes

I would also include myself as one who would love to see KiCAD include curved traces. I recently made a thin curved PCB that was about 1cm wide, at a radius of 7cm, traversing ~170 degrees of a circle. The fact that KiCAD could happily make neat and clean curved shapes on the edge.cuts layer, but couldn’t do it on the copper layer was rather disappointing.

2 Likes

Just a historical note, by various metrics, curved tracks is the #2 most desired KiCad feature.

I don’t need it myself, but it will be nice to check off a long standing wishlist item.

2 Likes

I’m re-creating some old car foil cluster circuit traces, so I really need rounded traces for several reasons.

As a work around, “could I” make my traces using the polygon tools as another layer, then change them to copper layer either through property selection or editing the file manually?

1 Like

You could draw them as polygons on the copper layer, but that sounds pretty painful. If I were doing this, I’d just use free-angle routing and very small segments to approximate the curves. (well, I’d actually use a nightly build, but…)

1 Like

Kind of a hack for this but you could draw your needs in Inkscape and use this plugin to translate it to edge cuts and copper layers. It’s really meant for making PCB badges and artwork. The Freecad plugin would probably work as well.

1 Like

svg2shenzhen is great ( and I prefer it for artistic stuff and board outlines…) but if you’re working with something that correlates to a schematic @Jarret 's stretch plugin might be the better way to go https://github.com/JarrettR/Stretch .

I don’t usually comment, but your insistence that “only 4 people use blah”, and “only two people use diggidy dap” is completely ridiculous reasoning for why we should not have features other programs have. That is, unless you have done a full market survey of the user base, a market analysis of what features people will want over the next 5 years, and analyzed the cost of development of these features vs others in demand - which you haven’t…

I welcome these new features, and trust the developers of this program to continue the rapid pace of development and growth of feature sets.

That’s all… have a nice day

3 Likes

For very small PCB’s curved traces also allow for a much tighter packing of traces, you reclaim most of the area consumed by those 45 / 90 degree corners, currently been using free hand routing as an interim, but being able to specify a common center point will make things much easier.

1 Like

I tried this feature today, seriously… THANK YOU!!!
I won’t order those PCBs till V6.0 is out :smiley:

3 Likes

Dont be too to hard on hobbyists - I like KiCad at home very much :wink:

But you are right, as a hobbyist I could stay with V5.x nevertheless KiCad must proceed to commercial users…

I am wondering if curved tracks could be dragged later on.

Not at the moment https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/6544