Review of DC Barrel Jack PCB footprint - Things don't add up!

Ok - Helpful…can you be more specific, where is it incorrect and how can I fix it?

@Rene_Poschl you made a footprint and it looks ideal - thank you. Would it be possible for you to record the process of making that again – that way I could actually review what you are doing and how you work through each of the bits needed?

Just look at the coordinates of your pads. Pad 1 is at X=0 and pad 2 is at X=-5.45 where did you get that dimension from? To fix it just enter the correct position. And pad 3 will need to move as well. Then you can move the outline.

1 Like

Hmm, so should it be -5.8 perhaps?

Taking position of pad 1 as offset 13.6 and then position of pad 2 is 7.8

Therefore 13.6 - 7.8 should be the gap between them which is 5.8?

1 Like

That is Correct. Since the drawing uses the front of the connector and the center as references for the measurements you could have assumed that to be the origin of the part and then used the same dimensions as on the drawing to locate other elements of the footprint.

2 Likes

I moved the whole footprint so that the front (left) edge was at 0 and then it took me less than a minute to set all of the dimensions correctly to the same values as in the drawing. Your outline was also inaccurately drawn, the lines didn’t even end and begin at the same coordinate with errors of 0.02 mm. You need to learn to either use the grid when using the mouse to move/align items or edit the coordinates directly.

2 Likes

Here you go: Tutorial: How to make a footprint in KiCad 5.1.x (From scratch)?

1 Like

https://www.snapeda.com/parts/PJ-102A/CUI/view-part/ can download foot print

Or you know take the one created by the head of the official library :wink:
(It will be in the v5 library if everything goes well)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.