Recommended Linux Distribution

I just spend over an hour reading some documentation of Mach3:
https://www.machsupport.com/help-learning/product-manuals/

Partly out of curiosity what it’s capable off, partly because of this thread, but mainly because one of my brothers uses it on a bigger CNC machine then I have myself, and I may want to use that machine in the near future.

I do not get the opinion it can do much more than either GRBLhal with bCNC or LinuxCNC. Even if I could (it won’t run on Linux) I see no reason why I’d want to use it myself.

But do note I’m pretty biased.
I’d rather use flaky Open Source software, and try to help to improve it, then pay for commercial software and have a perfectly working (production) machine…
For hobby I’m perfectly happy with GRBL. If I needed a CNC machine for production instead of a hobby then I would have a hard look into LinuxCNC and it’s stability before making any decision.

Hi, The CNC already has its dedicated computer. It’s a custom rack and I’m fully satisfied of this system. I don’t intend to change the OS. My concerns were only a network compatibility. Reading the last posts, it doesn’t seem to be a potential issue any longer.

I have also done extensive testing on Kubuntu 21.04, and it works great.

I have also tested with Ubuntu and Mint, and decided to settle with Kubuntu.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.