Re-mapping of library

I recently had to open my earliest KiCad effort, which was a couple of years ago, using the latest release of V4 at that time (~ June 2018).

I got this message when starting EESCEMA (I have added clarification as [ ] and some punctuation to also clarify what I THINK the intent is):

*This schematic [created in v4] currently uses the project symbol-library-list look-up method for loading library symbols.

KiCad will attempt to map the existing symbols [in this schematic] to use the new symbol-library table. Remapping will change some project files, and schematics may not be [back-] compatible with older versions of KiCad. All files that are changed will be backed up to the “remap_backup” folder in the project folder should you need to revert any changes. If you choose to skip this step, you will be responsible for manually remapping the symbols.*

OK…so that is where we begin this problem.

When I run the re-map…ALL of the remapping fails, and the entire symbology in the schematic is replaced with those lovely and entertaining squares filled with " ?? ".

Would anybody be able to explain to me what is going on here? Is there a problem with the Environment Variables now?

Von W

Oh, I forgot to mention…I am now using V5.1.4, and that is the version being used to open those old V4 projects.

What are the cache and rescue libs and how does the schematic rescue dialog work? (KiCad version 5.x and earlier)

Ahhhhh. I see. Thanks.

Possibly a better fit for your problem is Converting KiCad version 4 projects to version 5 (Remap a project)

Thank you, Rene. This was also suggested by another contributor, and it’s a very good guide.
VW

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.