Questions about a Mezzanine Implementation in KiCAD

Thanks, I’m hoping by morning I’ll wake up and most of it will be over; like a bad dream.:cry:

@posplayr
I don’t see how you have to recheck? Once the connectors are in the same location and you lock them there they aren’t going to move, and you don’t have to recheck them. I’m working on a 6 connector version now. The motherboard PCB I copied across into the daughter board folder. I renamed it, then opened it, removed all the tracks, and components not used in the daughter board schematic, then imported the schematic net list, job done - well almost the schematic is not finished yet. I’m not saying its superior, but its not slow, and does not require rechecking once foot prints are locked in position. It’s also simple and does not require the use of other software packages.
Its exactly like using the new project from template. The rPi, or Arduino PCB footprint is done for you in the right locations, and they are locked already so you can’t move them, unless you stuff up a netlist import…but that’s always going to stuff things up.
@maui
I do admit that Stepup looks good, and I hope to get some time soon and get it running, as I’ve not had much luck with using mesh labs and getting the IGES/STL to be the correct size when I import it into Inventor. I do think you are correct its a far superior way to work to check interface and I love working in 3D, as all my PCB’s go into cramped areas. So you’ll have another follower soon…
Anyway good thread its helped with my work flow…

1 Like

Well I’m glad I posted and fumbled around. You have inadvertently answered my question. There is an option in the footprint properties to lock footprint (but you knew that) which solves the problem I was trying to address.:grinning:

I had looked at the mezzanine projects before but did not know to look for locked down properties in the footprints. I assumed they would move like anything else except they are locked which means they can’t move.

I see now that all of these mezzanine examples are what I need to do. I just need to understand all the settings better.

Thanks for persisting with me.

@Joan_Sparky Can you explain why you use Dwgs.User layer for the board outline instead of the Edge.Cuts layer? Thanks!

Um… duh. :blush: Right. Thanks!

I would like to use the Dwg layer to draw a stiffener for a flexible circuit. However, in the 3D view the stiffener doesn’t come out in the correct place. If my “main pcb” layers are for a flex circuit and my Dwgs.User is a stiffener, could I then use StepUp + Freecad to change the layer order so the 3D view looks like the final/correct way?

you can use the stiffener as a 3D model if you:

1. generate the main board in Edge.Cuts plus the stiffener in Dgws.User
  2. save a copy of your board and remove all but stiffener
  3. change layer for your design from Dwgs.User to Edge.Cuts adding eventually the holes you need
  4. import the board in FC with StepUp and create a 3D model of your stiffener
  5. align your model to reference (i.e. a center of a hole)
  6. save as step and wrl
  7. use the wrl exported from StepUp as 3D stiffener model to add to your main board

Maurice

Thanks Maui. Can I skip steps 1 to 3 and go directly to Step 4, if I already have a 3D Step file of my stiffener?

Yes,
you can just load in FC with StepUp tools a simple footprint (i.e. a mounting hole) and then import your step model of the stiffener … align it to i.e. the center of the hole and savd both step and wrl with the export button of StepUp tools…
Then you can use the model in kicad just assigning it to a footprint in your board… you can set offset and totation as your requirements…
M

Actually, elevated sockets > 18mm do exist:

http://suddendocs.samtec.com/catalog_english/esq_th.pdf

Wow, dormant for two years!
You can also get pin strips with two plastic strips at the top and bottom to be used between facing sockets. These can be several cm long, not good for EMC though