Push and Shove Disregards Board Cutlines and Keep-out Zones?

I just noticed now that Push and Shove lays out tracks crossing the cut-lines and keep-out zones of a T-shaped board.

Is this a normal behaviour? Or is there any settings I can change to make it not cross them?

For a start, are the board edges on the “edge cut” layer and do they exactly close the polygon, no nearly touching or overlapping?

At least in my nightly build version, neither the edge cuts layer nor the margin layer is used in determining where a track can be placed.
The keep-out zone is only used for making holes into copper pours i don’t think it is used by the interactive router.

To be honest i fear not even drc checks if anything is outside of the board.
(It would be a nice feature though.)

Yes, and yes, the board edges are on the “edge cut” layer and the they do close the polygon.

FreeRouting behaves, I have a keepout at the top but not the bottom

The push and shove places tracks in the keepout and then flags later as a DRC error

Using the latest Kicad built from the development branch, I can confirm that the P&S router disregards the edge cut lines and keep-out zones. With some more practices, however, I am able to push and shove the tracks inside the edge cut lines.

I think ignoring the board outline is a very fundamental error.
Is this changed behaviour as I never noticed the problem before?

A clumsy work round would be to create some dummy footprints with VERY long pads to place as walls at the edges of the board

This is related Routing around cuts ain't behaving
@cbernardo suggested adding keepouts. My tests show that this would trigger a DRC error, but would not contain the push and shove from placing the tracks in the first place

1 Like

This is a good one - basically with the way we currently define a board edge no sensible person would ever attempt to make the router respect the board edge.

I was hoping that perhaps placing glyphs on the Margin layer would help, but no such luck. I’ll see what the devs think of this problem and if anyone has some ideas for a good solution. However, I doubt there will be a fix in the near future.

1 Like

I posted this as a bug some time ago

Regarding DRC

Regarding P&S

And another bug report before mine

3 Likes