Possible 5.99 bug [problem found]

It’s even worse when the OS OE decides to force their solution only within their walls (looking at you Apple and “Metal”). Not that I care, Linux user with an AMD GPU so that is someone else’s problem for buying I to that ecosystem :slight_smile:

1 Like

That would orphan the Pi

The Pi supports OpenGL ES just fine. If we moved to a multi-backend 3D library as is planned, it should have no problem running on the Pi or any other SoC with a GPU.

Ok, so long as the other graphics are extras, not instead of.

Actually OpenGL ES wouldn’t even be needed in new SoCs for KiCad because they support Vulkan, at least RPi does (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Vulkan_driver). By the time v7 will be released all decent newish devices which can run KiCad will probably support Vulkan. Not that OpenGL ES vs. Vulkan would make any difference for KiCad, but still…

1 Like

OpenGL is deprecated on Windows. Switching to Vulkan or DirectX is a longer term necessity. Windows for ARM removed OpenGL entirely.

Apple also has OpenGL deprecated with a threat to remove it one day on a whim, whenever they arbitrarily choose.

So I wouldn’t call the other graphic backends “extras” as much as “required for some platforms”.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.