Placing two Op Amps in the same footprint

I get the impression, like @hmk , that @Kornman is selecting the library part three times, rather than selecting once and twice further clicking to place the three part symbol.
However, that doesn’t explain the “BB” & “CC”. :thinking:

1 Like

(Deleted) dum de dum…

Referring to the schematic in the OP’s original post, does anyone recognise the arrangement of three pots underneath “U2AA”?

What is it about? Couldn’t it be replaced by just one?

This is what I’m referring to.

1 Like

Thanks @SteveT

I went back to the schematic you just mentioned and noted this:

Maybe one day I’ll learn to read words instead of just looking at pictures. :roll_eyes:

This seems to show that U2B & U2C and U2A and U2C are missing. There is probably a third U2 to account for the 2CC somewhere in this list, but not displayed in the screen grab.

Kicad allows more than one symbol to have the same Ref., so my bet is the OP selected three LM393s and selected the A from one, the B from another and the C from a third, re-refed. them so they all became U2 and placed a second A, B & C on each thinking that this would combine the three items to form one package.

2 Likes

Indeed - clues galore in that ERC list!

I think the OP will be pleased to learn that the proper way to do it is actually much easier than the way he was attempting.

1 Like

I suggest you close this project, Start a new project with just the LM393. Make up some simple inputs and outputs using resistors and see what you get. I also see your 555 timer has errors as well.

Also use the tool “Annotate” before doing the ERC checks.

1 Like

Depending on what the practical application is, it may be intentional.
It might be that one or two of the potentiometers is supposed to be trimmer(s), which set the range for the other potentiometer(s).

RV2 is connected in a way which gives a setting symmetrical around the mid point.

1 Like

I have no 3 unit symbol in my libraries (have only 2 unit LVC2G… symbol with power pins made as DeMorgan). I supposed that symbol units are combined by reference (at least in V5 when moving gates between parts I just changed their references, I think).

I was not aware that it should be done this way. I suppose I can add a gate at any time and by editing its reference and unit selection decide with each other gate it is together in common footprint. May be (together with automatic assignment of references) something has changed since V5 when I have done it last time. I can’t check it now.

1 Like

Nothing has changed since 5.

To create a symbol, you decide how many parts you need, then draw each part.
To place the complete symbol on a schematic, you select and place the first part, then continue clicking for each additional part.

Maybe some of my original explanation was lost in translation. :thinking:

Sorry @Piotr , It is way past my bed time and I think I am misinterpreting your comments.

The below comment I made is what I think the OP tried to do. This will not work.

my Two-Cent input…

I’ve used many LM393 but prefer their Euivalent part (LM358) for projects (mostly because I have about 100 of them)…

As others have posted, the Schematic Symbol is Not a Footprint.
A Footprint is placed onto the PCB.
The Footprint needs linking to the Symbol.

The LMXXX part contains Two individual OpAmps (A and B) and one can feed into the other or, each can be used as a Stand-Alone OpAmp.

Here’s a Link to good Info…

Below screenshot is my basic schematic (old but, still valid) that I use for reference…

I recommend making a simple schematic and simple PCB (in Kicad) to help gain experience with Kicad and OpAmp

Screenshots

Thank you verry verry much hmk!! Theese instructions solved my problem properly!
I am so grateful.
This is a fantastic forum, with so many committed members that helps, even a poorly read newbe like me.
Thanks again.

1 Like

The unit is a PWM-generator, that should be possible to limit in “both ends” (not run 0-100%).The 10k-pot is the operators operating lever, and the 4k7 trim-pots limit upper and lower pulse-width, depending on area of ​​use (now running 60-90%).

In Electronics, there is a general nomenclature of using “potentiometer” (or “Pot” for short) for adjustable resistors, and “trimming poteniometer” (trim pot) for adjustments that are only made once. You also wrote:

so you are aware of this, but the different potentiometers also have their own symbols. A regular potentiometer uses an arrow, while a trim pot uses a line instead of an arrow:

It also looks unusual that both ends of RV2 are connected to GND. Are you sure you want it this way? Have you ran a simulation or tested it on a breadboard?

The values of both 4k7 trim pots also seem to be made by placing wire labels (I made a similar remark earlier) and you should fix that too.

OK, thanks. But there is something wrong with the operator’s control (10k, labelled RV2). As drawn, electrically it is simply a 0 to 2.5k variable resistor, but the highest resistance is in the middle of the travel, and each half of the travel is a mirror image of the other. This is going to cause serious confusion for the poor operator!

That’s why I think you’ve either drawn it wrong, or copied it wrongly from wherever you found the circuit.

If it is a linear, it is actually a 0 - 2,5 kOhm, as the two halves of 5k each are in parallell when the wiper is in the middle.

This may be either intentional or accidental, the OP (@Kornman ) should check it.

Ooops! Thank you! I’ve fixed my post.

It will even be a curve that is fairly flat around the maximum resistance in the middle, and gets steeper when approaching (practically) zero resistance toward both ends.

I’m pretty sure it can’t be what is intended.

1 Like

Sure it is intendent. This potentiomerer is connected to the lever of a two-way joystick. When the joystick is not manuvered (stands upright) the pot is in its middle position (0% PWM). When the lever is moved, in eihther direction, the pot is turned and a PWM-signal is produced, propotional to the movement of the lever.
The direction of the actuator itself (skylift), is decided by microswitches on the same joystick lever. That is mostly for safety reasons.
Built on veroboard and tested and confirmed by customer.