Placing Led components on concentric circles

Hi all,
I want to draw a PCB with 24 leds placed on two concentric circles (12 on each) with 30° angle between them. Are there tools in KiCad-PCB to achieve this? Like guide lines (protractor…)?
Thank’s a lot for helping me (i’m a very beginner in KiCad).
Richard

There is more than one way to do this . . .

It could probably coded using Python, but I don’t know Python so that wouldn’t be an option for me.
I’d probably create a symbol showing 4 LEDs, two either side of a central point, then a footprint for this symbol with the LEDs at the correct positioning of your circle radiuses either side of the circle centre point.

Create your schematic with the 6 sets of LED symbols (so 24 LEDs in total) . … this will give you 6 sets of footprints which you can align to the same centre point and then simply use the Positioning Tools > Move Exactly to rotate by the correct angle.

A scripted example is the “Studio clock”

You can also select one of the LED’s, then press [Ctrl + T] or select Create From Selection / Array from the popup menu under the right mouse button.

This will take some fiddling before you figure out how it works, so I recommend to make a backup and then start a bit of experimenting. As the array creates new footprints, they have no links to the schematic, and you have to fix those yourself.

As an alternative, you can also just draw some track or other item and create an array out of those, and then use the ends of those tracks to snap the footprints to.

2 Likes

Thank’s to both of you! As i expected i should go first through a basic study of the tool. But most important for me is to see that my problem does have solutions, and i have enough time to experiment…

1 Like

The footprint wizard can do pads in a circle. Maybe you can make 4 concentric circles and then combine them into one footprint. My head hurts thinking about how so it’s over to you. :thinking:

@rivandemo
Use the Circular Array tool - The X/Y center is Relative to the Page Origin at the Top-Left of it’s Frame. I placed two Circles for visual reference…

3 Likes

Great!! I’ll try that … tomorrow ;-)) (have been busy this afternoon)
Thanks to all of you !!

Richard

1 Like

@BlackCoffee
Works perfect! I just reduced the count value to 12 (and made the leds’ ref and value not visible, personal choice)

Thanks again!

3 Likes

I just needed to adjust the X-coordinate of the circular array because the X,Y reference of the LED is the left hole (square) and i wanted it to be between the two holes.

Adjustment is where creating the circular array lets you down (I think) you can’t edit it after the fact, it’s easy enough to make it fresh though.

My idea with a footprint would allow you to adjust what you have have already placed by adjusting the footprint.

Indeed, i undo all array creations, then adjusted the X of the center and recreated the arrays. My first idea was to modify the footprint of the Led itself so as to place its reference point in the middle between the holes but i abandonned that idea and preferred re-center the arrays (seemed more straightforward). In fact i think that when leds are put into drilled holes (this is my case) the led footprint should be centered differently.

1 Like

Now I’m a bit confused.

In Post #3 I gave a direct link to the array tool in KiCad, and also that it needs some fiddling / experimentation to get used to it.

In Post #6 @BlackCoffee wrote essentially the same (but also made a video) and that got 3 likes, from @teletypeguy , @John_Pateman and @jmk

I do not understand why BlackCoffee’s response is regarded as so much better.

1 Like

Probably not perceived as better maybe just more recent and visual so got the likes . . . I prefer my idea obviously :wink:

Only dipping into the forum occasionally these days and saw @BlackCoffee video and thought it good - didn’t read rest of thread. Sorry - not a personal slight - appreciate that you mentioned it first. I’ve even given it a like too.

1 Like

Yeah, like John says, just lightly monitoring the forum these days (been off learning freecad) and was not digging into replicating the layout. We all value your contributions Paul.

1 Like

And my excuse:
I’m not into LED circles so the thread was opened and scrolled. I noticed a couple of thankyou’s from the OP.
If a new member makes the effort to post a thankyou, I give them a like. It doesn’t really matter what the subject.

I noticed on the thankyou, reference was made to @BlackCoffee, so I scrolled back to find BC’s post. It was a video that obviously answered the OPs question. A video takes a bit of effort so he received a like from me.

To be honest, I didn’t read much. I didn’t even watch the video. It was the OPs thankyou that started me clicking the Like button.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.