Pin headers are rotated

I created a PCB and in pcbnew it looks good, but the 3D viewer shows the pin headers rotated. I tried different types, and played with the rotation settings, but that affects the PCB itself, not the 3D viewer.

I use footprint “Pin_Headers:Pin_Header_Straight_1x04_Pitch2.54mm”

See the orange circles below.

Btw. I probably might have more questions … is it better to make one big post or can I better ask one by one? I really appreciate all help, being a novice at KiCAD.

With high probability: I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

1 Like

@Rene_Poschl I’m afraid that’s not the problem. According to that link the old libs to be removed are starting with ${KIGITHUB}), however, mine area starting with $(KICAD_SYMBOL_DIR). KiCad was already installed, but not sure what version it was at that time. The current version I use now is 5.0.

you shure you looked at the right library table?

1 Like

@Rene_Poschl In the Symbol Library Editor, Preferences, Manage Symbol Libraries, Global Libraries tab.

You need to look at Footprint Library Editor. Symbols are for the schematic.

1 Like

That’s a V4 footprint. If you update your footprints it should be fine

1 Like
1 Like

@bobc … yes you are right, I just tried, but still I have the same problem, now the footprints are from $(KISYSMOD)

The variable is not the only thing mentioned that can be used as an indicator for old libraries. The library name being plural is another.

Meaning you somehow still have version 4 footprints. Either this project was made back when you had version 4 footprints or something is strange with your installation.

1 Like

The libraries were revamped (with lots of thanks to @Rene_Poschl) and the version 5 libraries all have singular names e.g. Capacitor_SMD not Capacitors_SMD (as @shack identified). Part of the revamp ensured that all the 3D models that met the criteria were also aligned automatically with the footprint - and have 0º rotation and 1:1 scaling. Not all V4 models made the cut into V5. Older models can be used if you scale and rotate them - but remember to save them in your own library.

1 Like

The project is new (yesterday), however, I’m getting somewhere, the 3 pin foot prints are now ok, the 4 pins are not.

@John_Pateman thanks … I see indeed I have a lot of libraries, both with plural and single names. For the pin headers, I only have a plural name library :frowning: .

This means your setup is kind of mixed. You might want to read this and make a manual install: Library management in KiCad version 5 (My guess is that you either did not install the libraries or the installer screwed up.)

@Rene_Poschl I updated the footprints, now I have the good ones, however, I don’t see any 3D model anymore, to prevent any more problems, I uninstalled KiCad, and going to install the latest stable release.

You might need to check if you have the 3d models and if KISYS3DMOD points to the correct location

@Rene_Poschl Reinstalling helped a lot, I now have the correct pin headers, and also most other components in the 3D viewer.

Only thing is that the foot print library still contains the old libraries too, but they are empty. When I have time, I will remove them manually… Thanks all for helping me.

Read the “reset to default” section of the tutorial i linked above.

IHMO: I never think this idea is good, because it disallow us to optimize the usage of each 3D Models. Hence, lib got unnecessary big with 3D files where we can reuse the simple model for a lot of generic parts.

Thanks … I will do