PCBNew: Track-ends square instead of round?

1 Like

Fear that feature will affect the soldarability if not using anything like a thermal pad for such thick trace. Some IC like switching regulators do that intentionally for heatsink, but you have to design plane shapes and heat sink vias intentionally therefore. From other EDA this is known as the ā€œbottle-neckā€ function what may be used to connect big trace to small pad. The result is something like a thermal pad generated on the fly. Other use of bottle-necking is to go through 2 narrow pins with a thick trace. Old ā€œElektuur styleā€ PCB designs did that frequently to allow big hand soldering IC pads. The netlist class editor allows to specify min, max and typical thickness. Interactive routing takes max size if there is enough space and switches to min to allow pass through narrow paths.

2 Likes

Not just this, solder theft and tombstoning are also possible. This is a feature that should be used cautiously

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting, itā€™s 1y old I see, but it seems itā€™s not inside the 7? Am I wrong?

That feature request hasnā€™t been implemented yet, right. At the moment it isnā€™t even targeted for 8.0, so make sure you vote for that issue or even help with the development (by donating money or even coding it yourself).

How can I vote it please?

By opening the issue, logging into Gitlab if necessary and hitting the thumbs-up button below the issue text:

grafik

Done. Although I think that if we have to wait again 1y and to be a ā€œperhapsā€, it will not help. Even by giving some money (something I was thinking to offer, because this software helped me a lot)

I have the sensation that when I will be under-ground (cemetery) it will be perhaps discussed as possible new feature :-/

Although I think that if we have to wait again 1y and to be a ā€œperhapsā€, it will not help.

The development is limited by number of developers and available development time.

On the other hand there are currently 487 feature request issues (and 870 wishlist-tagged) open. So itā€™s impossible to to fulfil all wishes from the community. (Itā€™s like christmas, you canā€™t fulfil all whishes from your kids).
So the development team (and also the independent developers) has to decide on which topic to spend the time. And both mentioned issues need much effort, deliver only small benefit (for very special cases) and the user can workaround them with the mentioned methods (RF-tools plugin, manually place zones, manual shrinking of track-width).
I admit I could also use a solution like proposed in #8027 for my power-electronics boards, but that would only be a comfort-feature. Instead I personally like features which are beneficial for many users - itā€™s very common that I benefit from features designed for the majority.

So as a fazit it could be right that you will wait again many years for these features - itā€™s all about costs <ā€“> benefits.Exception is a developer wants that feature for themself (or find the programming-task interesting). Or you throw enough money at the developers for exactly that feature.

6 Likes

Thanks @mf_ibfeew for your post. Out of curiosity, does anyone here know a PCB layout tool that lets the user control the track segment cap style?

I donā€™t know when, and if, it will happen, but we could codename it ā€œProject Godotā€, just in case :slight_smile:

T.

1 Like

For me the point is that this feature can easily be abused by inexperienced users, causing soldering problems, as described up-thread.
We often see posts which make it obvious that the reason for thermal relief spokes is not understood.

I know that Target3001 (paid software from a German company) letā€™s you choose between round and straight end.

https://server.ibfriedrich.com/wiki/ibfwikien/index.php?title=Track_width

1 Like

If implemented as option by using a right key and inside another sub-menu, it will be less probable.
However, if somebody abuses: well he/she will learn do not.
You learn more lessons by your own mistakes than with somebody that imposes you his willing and telling you ā€œyou havenā€™t to do it 'cause itā€™s wrongā€ ā€¦ because be sure: they will do it :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.